3 gal pancake compressor

I got a 3 gal compressor from HF, and it's OK for airing up tires. Or inflating basketballs. As to air tools, it only powers the tools for a couple seconds, and then the recovery time is a bit long.

Been considering rig up a manifold, so I can also inflate a

5 gal expansion tank, which I got years ago. That way, I can run the pressure up for a longer time, before I really get down and start wrenching. I'd love to have a 40 gal water heater for expansion tank, but no place to put one.

Wonder if the extra 5 gals of expansion will make a serious difference in the ability to do car repairs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley in news:hr7ula$715$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yeah... the pump will take 5/8 longer to pump up the 8 gallons than it did to pump up the 3. In the meanwhile, your pressure is low for longer than it would have been before.

Buy an Emglo (by DeWalt), and you won't need another $35 HF rip-off. And it will cut back in at a pressure your tools can still use. You might not _ever_ be out of air unless you're using a big D/A sander or a sand- blaster.

But then, you probably paid only about $100-$150 less from HF than you would have from a decent tool dealer for an Emglo. I got my 3-gal two- sausage Emglo for $350, out the door. It handles everything I need in a portable, runs acceptably on a 12-ga 50' extension cord (because it has a head-relief valve -- although you can hear it struggle a bit on an extension, until the motor comes up to speed), and is actually "portable" if I limp a little carrying it ('bout 90lb) .

I've had it for eight years, and use the hell out of it. It, like the Chinalloy 4x6 bandsaw I bought, is one of the best buys I ever made. Hell, the motor and pump are even repairable and replacable. Try that on the "make believe 3HP" Chinese rip-alikes.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Your $350 Emglo would be at least $250 more than the HF compressor. The HF compressor is not a "rip-off" by any means, it is not intended for use with continuous air tools, nor is any other brand of "pancake" compressor. The "pancake" compressors are intended for tools such as small air nailers, tire filling and the like.

HF also has some compressors that are a closer match to the Emglo at a higher price than the "pancake" but still considerably less than the Emglo. I would want the Emglo if I were a contractor using the compressor daily on a job site, but for occasional home use, the larger HF unit would probably be fine.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:4bd78c80$0 $15813$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

Pete, did you miss the part where Stormy was complaining that it _didn't_ meet his "occasional home use" needs?

C'mon. I've been given a few burnt-out chinese compressors. Their "5- hp" motors are barely 1/2HP, equipped with motors the size of my fist, designed to last a few weeks past warrantee, then blow up.

If not for anything else, the repairability of the better-named units is what I'd go after. If I have to buy a new compressor every two years, what's the diff if I just spring for the 5-year replacement price, and it lasts 15?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It would but only if the compressor developed more CFM. The small pancake units are not intended for use with constant flow air tools like impacts are sanders. They are meant for air nailers and impulse use tools.

For a tool like an air ratchet or sander or high flow tools like blasters and spray guns you want a high CFM unit with a bigger tank.

Reply to
Steve W.

"it's OK for airing up tires. Or inflating basketballs. As to air tools, it only powers the tools for a couple seconds, and then the recovery time is a bit long."

He's indicating that he is trying to power continuous air tools with it, something it is not designed to do. A couple seconds of operation would be for something like an air die grinder or drill, something that no "pancake" compressor is intended to power.

Probably burnt out by continuous operation trying to keep up with people who are misusing them.

Like I said, if I was a contractor using the thing daily I'd want an Emglo or the like. The HF compressors are just fine for weekend home use if used within their ratings.

Reply to
Pete C.

-------------------------------------------------------------- Home Page:

If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes Doubt yourself, and the real world will eat you alive The world doesn't revolve around you, it revolves around me No skeletons in the closet; just decomposing corpses

-------------------------------------------------------------- Dependence is Vulnerability:

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal" "I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.."

Reply to
JR North

Lets see. If I triple the volume from 3 to 9 galons, it would take 3 times as long to fill, but if I go from 3 to 8, and then it takes 5/8 longer. Hey, that sounds like a great deal.

If I had $300, I'd buy a bigger HF compressor, and use that. Actually, part of the problem is that I don't have the space for a big compressor.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's me... the occasional home user. I realize the oilless compressor will wear out after some small number of hours of use. But, for $40, I don't expect much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, Lloyd, Stormy said that the unit was fine for airing up tires, or inflating basketballs. Just that it didn't have enough output for air wrench. And maybe with a bigger expansion tank the duty cycle could be adjusted a bit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course, you are correct. I'm trying to get a bit more performance out of a low performance cheap tool.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I tried to use the compressor and a side-handle air wrench last week, while changing fluid on my van. 16 bolt transmission pan. After several minutes of compressor run, I had enough air to use the air tool for a couple seconds. I ended up using a hand operated ratchet wrench for most of the job. I shoulda not been so surpised, that a 3 gal tank is so feeble, in the face of a ratchet wrench.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I hear that. Makes me wonder if I need a different approach. Since I don't have the space to house a 60 gal tank, maybe on the next job like this I oughta invest in a corded drill, and socket adaptor. Break the bolts loose with a hand wrench, and use the corded drill to turn the bolts the rest of the way.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A cordless impact driver (Makita or other good one) with socket adapters works very well on remarkably large stuff.

Reply to
Pete C.

I do have a cordless Makita drill that would have removed and replaced these bolts. Except for the breaking free, and final torque. Good idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A roll around is the answer for many small shops and home users. I've got a

16+ year old Cambell Hausfeld, oil bath compressor that has sat for extended periods, and then been used for heavy service for weeks on end with never a problem except that it can draw between 15 and 20 amps on startup.

I can drive a 1/2" impact with it long enough to pull all the wheels off my boat trailer. I can paint with it (and have). I can even do some spot work with an air grinder or an air sander. I've even used it to run a gravity feed spot blaster.

I have always wished I had a bigger compressor when when doing some types of work, but it sure is nice to wrap the hose around the handle and roll it out of the way when its not being used.

Now that I have a bigger shop I am considering plumbing in air lines... when I have the time and the money at the same time. LOL. I'll probably hook that roll around to it for a while unless the right deal on a big upright 2 stage 220V falls in my lap.

Anyway, when I was a kid all the home shops and garage mechanics had a mid size roll around. Big enough to do some work. Halfway affordable, and easy enough move out of the way when not in use.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

About the only air tool those little compressors can operate with any useful duty cycle, is an airbrush. Pin or brad nailers might work OK though.

For almost any air tool, the pump needs to have 2 pistons reciprocating on a crankshaft turning hundreds of RPM.

You shouldn't pass up a decent air compressor because you don't have the space (indoors), if you can add a closet (vertical model) or a dog house (horizontal) onto the shop outside for the compressor. That's where many shop air compressors are located, for good reasons. The noise is isolated from the shop, and the compressor gets fresh air outdoors.

With a covered, secure, outdoor compressor, you'll need access to check the oil and drain any water from the tank. An automatic drain valve will blow off a little air at intervals to drain the water.

Many in-shop compressors are probably operating below their peak performance because the air filters have gotten clogged with shop dust or overspray.

You'll know when you see an air compressor that will power air tools.. it'll have 2 cylinders and drive belt(s) on a large tank with an ASME design certification welded to the tank. The little 2 cylinder single stage portable air compressors (searze, Campbell Hausfeld, etc with real 2 HP motors) are borderline barely just adequate (if it's in good operating condition). I've used them, and they can power the smaller tools and full-sized paint guns, but a 1/2" impact wrench can outrun the air output, for quickly removing all 4 wheels from a vehicle in quick succession, for example. That's if you have a lift in your shop.

For turning nuts and bolts quickly, a $5 twirly tool (don't know the name), bent like a dog leg will spin fasteners with one hand. You might be able to make one. The twirly tool is a single-handed version of a speed handle.

When you get a good air compressor, one of the handiest tools is a good quality 3/8" butterfly valve impact wrench. With a 1/4-3/8" adapter, it can be used for screws, nuts and bolts. Very quick for engine teardown, service, interior removal, and any job with numerous fasteners of the same size.

I wouldn't have an air ratchet for any price, they just make too much noise and don't work all that well, but they can trap a hand in a tight spot (where there may be sharp edges).

Reply to
Wild_Bill

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:1uYBn.149624$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe13.iad:

A friend gave me a "5HP" 20-gal Campbell Hausfield roll-around that the motor crapped on.

Surprisingly, the pump itself was a pretty nice assembly, the motor not.

So I took off all the top-end parts except the regulator/manifold assembly, and made it into a roll-around portable air tank for when the tractor or trailers need airing-up out in the pastures. The 20-gal tank is JUST enough to get one 28-inch tractor tire up enough to safely get back to the barn.

If yours eventually dies, keep it anyway.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Too bad you arent closer to California. I might be able to find you a real compressor, cheaply.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

He doesn't have room to store the 25HP 4cyl 120gal compressor you'd find him...

Reply to
Pete C.