confused by lathe behavior

Oh, forgot to mention 2.25" spindle through bore, and D1-6 camloc spindle mount. I sure love it!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Its probably because the tool nose radius is bigger on the insert tool

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Very very true!

My 1500 lb Hardinge Tool Room Lathe..an HLV-H has to be watched on some stuff..and it has so little backlash as to be zero.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Gunner, a larger radius might give a better surface finish (with everything else rigid and strong), but it will also increase the forces causing a toolholder to spring relative to the work.

I don't know if I follow your contention...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yes..it does take more force. As do negative rake tools. But thats why industrial machines are made tough, strong and rigid.

Im sure that most of you here are familiar with negative rake tools?

They are not for every material..but work very very well if you have the hp and rigidity for it. My 7.5hp Clausing 1500 gets used a LOT with negative rake tools. My Hardinge HLV-H..does not. Zero rake is best for it in most materials.

Id be using positive rake tools on light, flimsey machines. And have a corresponding loss of surface finish.

As for tool nose radius....

Some interesting discussions on TNR

Gunner

Reply to