Admitting Your Mistakes And Learning From Them

I finally figured out why I could sharpen my old stainless knife and why it would dull so quickly after I had sharpened it. It took purchasing a new knife and having the same thing happen to it. I won't be returning the new knife because it helped to teach me what I was doing wrong.

Any guesses on why both knives would dull so quickly and would not hold their edge?

Reply to
jon_banquer

Cutting bricks with them ?

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

You were trying for the shallow angle of a razor blade? jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Had nothing to do with the edge I was putting on the knife when I sharpened it.

*********

Is the sheath made out of 600 grit polishing material?

Seriously...I heard on tv that storing knives and razor blades in baby oil keeps them sharp. Also... I did an experiment in grade school, it was a pyramid experiment for a science fair. I stuck dull razor blades in pyramids and they sharpened up. the ones in boxes did not.

Or maybe your dullness is rubbing off?

Reply to
vinny

Neither knife has a sheath.

((((stab yourself with the dullest one)

Reply to
vinny

You did not sharpen them correctly.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

did you "sharpen" with one of those blade manglers where you drag the blade across some hunks of steel and ceramic?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

           Dan

I figured you had sharpened them so they had a feather edge. Never crossed my mind that glass cutting boards were available. Looks like Precission Machinist had the right answer when he said cutting bricks.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

jon_banquer fired this volley in news:ab3dfc6c- snipped-for-privacy@f5g2000yqp.googlegroups.com:

Well, knives are (usually) metal, and this is (supposed to be) a metalworking group. So we should have been interested.

Besides that, for whatever strange reason, even a lot of perfectly competent machinists never learned the 'magic' surrounding knives.

(doesn't make sense, but what is, is...)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Or they are of less than sturdy alloys