Connecting rods revisited

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not
recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to not
take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required to put
inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and soldered the
insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
Loading thread data ...
Greetings Bob, I had to put bronze shells in an aluminum connecting rod a few years ago. I used loctite. I am very familiar with the stuff, having used it with very good results for years. But the bronze/aluminum bond was weak. And like you were told Loctite makes no anerobic adhesive better than 609 for bronze and it doesn't work well. I still ended up using 609 because there was really no good way for bonding the bronze to aluminum. But I did use pins through the bronze into the aluminum for a mechanical lock. It has worked well so far, but I think that if I ever have to split that connecting rod again the bronze shells will fall out. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow

Site Timeline

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.