Connecting rods revisited

Thanx to Nick Muller and Tim Wescott for the warning re. locktite not recommended for brass. I thought about that for a while and decided to not take take a chance on locktite, what with all the extra work required to put inserts in connecting rod ends. I fluxed with "Stay Clean" and soldered the insert disks in place with 96 / 4% silver bearing solder.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Greetings Bob, I had to put bronze shells in an aluminum connecting rod a few years ago. I used loctite. I am very familiar with the stuff, having used it with very good results for years. But the bronze/aluminum bond was weak. And like you were told Loctite makes no anerobic adhesive better than 609 for bronze and it doesn't work well. I still ended up using

609 because there was really no good way for bonding the bronze to aluminum. But I did use pins through the bronze into the aluminum for a mechanical lock. It has worked well so far, but I think that if I ever have to split that connecting rod again the bronze shells will fall out. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow

Thanx for the confirmation, Eric! It's good to hear it from another trusted source!

Reply to
Robert Swinney

You will post pictures when it's done? Please?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Well, thanks for calling me "trusted" Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow
10-4

Bob Sw>