Connectors for Jenix DROs sought

I put a Jenix DRO on my Millrite vertical mill. I would like to add a Z-axis switch, choosing between the knee vertical motion and quill motion.

The problem is that I have not been able to figure out the make and model of the 6-pin connectors used to connect linear scale to readout head.

I don't think it matters, but the scales are Jenix type JSN5L.

The distributor doesn't know, and an email to Jenix in Korea was not answered. Nor does google give the answer, although it does mention Sargon connector adapters.

Any ideas?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

There may be an easy way to abtain various DRO connectors, but I never found one Joe.

Some of the DRO companies changed to cheaper, and more readily available D-type connectors (serial PC types).

Mitutoyo had a round connector (metal shell) with 6 equally spaced pins around in a circle, with a single key to align the connector properly, and a twist 2-lug bayonet type of retainer/nut on the connector.

Anilam and Acu-Rite had a similar connector (metal shell) that was interchangeable between the two brands, with the same pinouts. Sargon was using the D-type before the other manufacturers did, I think.

I'm not sure which type Jenix uses, but if you locate an image of it, it would be easier to identify it/them.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

The retaining nut for the Jenix connector appears to be threaded instead of the twist-lock type.

Something to look for is a trademark in the insulator insert in the connector. If you see something that looks like HRS, but all merged into one symbol, that would be Hirose. They make a lot of connectors for electronic gear.

The pdf versions of their catalog sections are avilable here

Wild_Bill

Snap a pic, I run into all kinds of oddball connectors... might be able to ID it and find a source.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Yes, it's a loose but captive threaded ring.

Interesting catalog. I didn't see the Jenix connector, but it will take a while to look everywhere.

As for a symbol, there is a small stylized WS moulded into the insulator. The S is styled into a barred circle with two small gaps to make the S. The W is centered in the circle and overlays the bar. (I don't know that I have the equipment to photograph the symbol, which requires a magnifier to see clearly.)

The Jenix connector physically resembles a Philmore model T616C , but the P616C is smaller than the Jenix connector. The Philmore catalog describes this as a "multi-pin mobile connector" that is often used for microphones, one assumes on mobile radios.

The P616C is marked with an EST in an ellipse molded into the plastic body, and is made in Japan.

Download page 54 from for the Philmore data.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Re the photograph part:

I have an 'eyeball' camera for the pc that will focus down to an inch or so. Usually good enough for what you need. These usually run in the $30 to $60 range.

I also have a S> >

Reply to
RoyJ

Yep, I'm familiar with Philmore connectors, fairly common before XLR connectors became a standard for microphones and audio connections.

The WS trademark doesn't ring any bells, at least not immediately. The type you describe may also be used for amateur radio connectors, or older commercial VHF radios. A lot of recently manufactured connectors don't have metal shells.

You might try the sci.electronics.components? group, or sci.electronics.repair group with a description of as many characteristics as you can provide for the connector.

Traditionally, there have been a lot of participants in s.e.r that have extensive backgrounds in many types of commercial/industrial backgrounds, not just TV/VCR/Audio gear.

If the connector is a standardized type, there may be very poor generic clones that are low quality copies. I mention this because if the price is too low, you may end up with insulators that melt when you try soldering leads to the pins.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

some connector styles are shown here:

SW or WS, hmm, Switchcraft doesn't seem to make 6 pin connectors.

MS or SM instead?

Could search over at

you have to reg but its free.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Last page of this manual has a pinout- may not be correct pinout, but maybe the connector is the right one?

Hirose looks promising

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Whilst it certainly makes sense to initially try and obtain the correct plug, may I suggest (if you cannot source it) a simple option is to change both plug and socket to something easily obtainable.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Indeed. Ive done that many times on old machine tools

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

dro_guy had written this in response to

: Joe,

I will gladly sell you as many Jenix connectors as you need. Send me a e-mail or call me at 877-376-4373.

Regards, Tim Barnard LMSC

------------------------------------- Joseph Gw> I put a Jenix DRO on my Millrite vertical mill. I would like to add a

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 137615 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
dro_guy

That's good to know. I'll be calling.

But I still want to know what connector make and model this is, just in case. Or standard, if it is a standard connector type.

Thanks,

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn