Connectors for Jenix DROs sought

I put a Jenix DRO on my Millrite vertical mill. I would like to add a Z-axis switch, choosing between the knee vertical motion and quill
motion.
The problem is that I have not been able to figure out the make and model of the 6-pin connectors used to connect linear scale to readout head.
I don't think it matters, but the scales are Jenix type JSN5L.
The distributor doesn't know, and an email to Jenix in Korea was not answered. Nor does google give the answer, although it does mention Sargon connector adapters.
Any ideas?
Joe Gwinn
There may be an easy way to abtain various DRO connectors, but I never found one Joe.
Some of the DRO companies changed to cheaper, and more readily available D-type connectors (serial PC types).
Mitutoyo had a round connector (metal shell) with 6 equally spaced pins around in a circle, with a single key to align the connector properly, and a twist 2-lug bayonet type of retainer/nut on the connector.
Anilam and Acu-Rite had a similar connector (metal shell) that was interchangeable between the two brands, with the same pinouts. Sargon was using the D-type before the other manufacturers did, I think.
I'm not sure which type Jenix uses, but if you locate an image of it, it would be easier to identify it/them.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Yes, it's a loose but captive threaded ring.

Interesting catalog. I didn't see the Jenix connector, but it will take a while to look everywhere.
As for a symbol, there is a small stylized WS moulded into the insulator. The S is styled into a barred circle with two small gaps to make the S. The W is centered in the circle and overlays the bar. (I don't know that I have the equipment to photograph the symbol, which requires a magnifier to see clearly.)
The Jenix connector physically resembles a Philmore model T616C , but the P616C is smaller than the Jenix connector. The Philmore catalog describes this as a "multi-pin mobile connector" that is often used for microphones, one assumes on mobile radios.
The P616C is marked with an EST in an ellipse molded into the plastic body, and is made in Japan.
Download page 54 from <http://www.philmore-datak.com/alphanumindex.html for the Philmore data.
Thanks,
Joe

Re the photograph part:
I have an 'eyeball' camera for the pc that will focus down to an inch or so. Usually good enough for what you need. These usually run in the $30 to $60 range.
I also have a Sony DSC-S90 point and shoot digital camera that has a macro lens capability, focuses down to about 3". When I shoot that with the 4 Mpixel setting, I can cut the section I need from the large photo. I have used this to do instruction manual sorts of things like crimping connectors. You can clearly see tooling marks on the .100dia crimp connectors (as well as one of my fingers covering half the photo).
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

Yep, I'm familiar with Philmore connectors, fairly common before XLR connectors became a standard for microphones and audio connections.
The WS trademark doesn't ring any bells, at least not immediately. The type you describe may also be used for amateur radio connectors, or older commercial VHF radios. A lot of recently manufactured connectors don't have metal shells.
You might try the sci.electronics.components? group, or sci.electronics.repair group with a description of as many characteristics as you can provide for the connector.
Traditionally, there have been a lot of participants in s.e.r that have extensive backgrounds in many types of commercial/industrial backgrounds, not just TV/VCR/Audio gear.
If the connector is a standardized type, there may be very poor generic clones that are low quality copies. I mention this because if the price is too low, you may end up with insulators that melt when you try soldering leads to the pins.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Snap a pic, I run into all kinds of oddball connectors... might be able to ID it and find a source.
Dave

some connector styles are shown here: http://www.engineered-cables.com/circular-connectors.html
SW or WS, hmm, Switchcraft doesn't seem to make 6 pin connectors.
MS or SM instead?
Could search over at www.globalspec.com, you have to reg but its free.
Dave

Last page of this manual has a pinout- may not be correct pinout, but maybe the connector is the right one?
http://www.dsjenix.com/en/manual/down/Dsc700e/700E-Manual.doc
Hirose looks promising http://www.hirose-connectors.com/connectors/H210circularconnectors.aspx?p1=1
Dave
Whilst it certainly makes sense to initially try and obtain the correct plug, may I suggest (if you cannot source it) a simple option is to change both plug and socket to something easily obtainable. <G>
Richard
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:58:55 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 19:44:22 +0000, Richard Edwards

Indeed. Ive done that many times on old machine tools
Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""
dro_guy had written this in response to http://polytechforum.com/metalworking/connectors-for-jenix-dros-sought-159680-.htm : Joe,
I will gladly sell you as many Jenix connectors as you need. Send me a e-mail or call me at 877-376-4373.
Regards, Tim Barnard LMSC www.digitalreadoutsystem.com

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.polytechforum.com/ Metalworking Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking - 137615 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
lmsc_at_pacbell_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (dro_guy) wrote:

That's good to know. I'll be calling.
But I still want to know what connector make and model this is, just in case. Or standard, if it is a standard connector type.
Thanks,
Joe Gwinn