Any Reliability Experience with the low cost DROs

I won't shout as it seems very quiet in here, but just wondered if anyone has any comments on the reliability of the cheaper DROs that
have been available for a year or two. I am going to downsize my workshop (Bridgeport is just too big for me) and want to equip the smaller replacement mill with a 3 axis budget type system (glass scales). Also has anyone any comments (printable) on the “budget consoles” that appear to save about £100 over their better specified counterparts? Do you loose any important functions? My use is typical model engineering with few items that need accuracy to two tenths of a Gnats a**, but I am tempted by some of the slightly more complex co- ordinate machining capability.
Hope I haven't disturbed your sleep
Keith
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 23, 1:59 pm, jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Hello Keith Yes they are good but like all things there are some misgivings compared to say Mitutoyo. When you select imperial it doesn't count in full tenth steps, metric no problem, there are to many trailing zeroes which can be a pain when trying to get the reading spot on as the machine hand movements aren't accurate enough, better points about them is they remember your position even when switched off and even if you move the handwheel when switched off, the manual could do with someone sitting down with plenty of spare time and re-writing it in proper English with some good examples, this would make it easier to get used to all of the functions. All in all though they are very good for the price I have a mill version on a Bridgeport, Lathe version on a Hardinge and a Mitutoyo setup on a Bridgeport, I also have Quillstar units on the quill this makes for very accurate Z axis feed . Mounting them is not to bad but the fitting kit is not the best. Hope this info helps I have had them over a Year and had no problems Cheers Colin
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 23 Sep, 17:39, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

Colin hi, thanks for that - excellent information and just what I needed. I'm currently using an old Anilam on the Bridgeport which is fine but of course won't be of any use if I get a smaller mill. While mine is a bit basic in function it still makes the machine a pleasure to use. I see you have a good selection of DROs there so if you are happy with them I'm sure they will do me fine. It does make me wonder though why they continue to spoil reasonable tooling with crap instructions that you can hardly comprehend. While it can raise a smile on something as simple as a milldrill it is frustrating when the function set is more comprehensive and I do really want to use some of the more advanced abilities.
Best regards
Keith
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 23 Sep, 13:59, jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Don't know about reliability ... my friend bought a dro recently ...sino from machine dro dot com
Very impressed with the quality of the fittings and the alloy housing for the read out.
downside.....
150 buttons on it .....and the manuals in chinglish ..you cant make any sense out of it at all.
all the best.markj
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks Mark, as I've just said to Colin it beats me why they continue to spoil very reasonable kit with crap instructions. I'll have to have a good look at an instruction manual as I'm no expert with DROs; if I can make the midlands exhibition I can see what I will be doing for a couple of hours :-)
Best regards
Keith
Add pictures here
βœ–
<snip>

You could always stand on a stool... <VBG>
Peter
Add pictures here
βœ–

Peter
The only benefit I can see of standing on a stool is that I can refute the wife's charge of always having my head in the clouds as it would actually be in the rafters :-) The problem with the Bridgy is that it is just too bulky and I haven't really used any of the bigger capacity. If I am really honest, either the Bridgeport or the little Westfield needs to go. If I thought next summer was going to be as wet as this one the Bridgy would certainly stay. Perhaps I should do a JS and build another couple of thousand square feet on the end <VBG>
Best regards
Keith
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:16:51 -0700 (PDT), jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I believe he's taken to measuring his workshop in hectares recently...still less spare floor space than the average aircraft kazi though <G>
Regards, Tony
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 05:59:07 -0700 (PDT), jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: Hi keith
I have a Sino unit fitted to Peters old Warco VMC mill and I have found it to be excellent. Its been fitted well over 12 month and I have had no problems at all.
I orderd it at the Midlands show and got a bit of discount from Machine DRO (Allendale)
I only tend to use the very basic functions but as stated the manual is not brilliant for the more advaces user.
My advice is to buy one ASAP
All the best
Paul

Add pictures here
βœ–

Paul thanks for that, actual experience is always the most reliable teacher. I will certainly spend some time on their stand at Warwick and hope I can make up my mind before the current financial situation affects the price of things.
Glad to hear that Peters VMC (don't think it was "old" though <VBG>) is still keeping you entertained and productive.
Best regards
Keith
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 03:51:01 -0700 (PDT), jontom snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Just being nosey here keith, but what's going to replace the Bridgy? Do you perhaps have a KX1 or KX3 in mind?
Peter
Add pictures here
βœ–
I recently bought a new DRO for the Bridgy when the old Heidenhain packed up, sooner than look for 20 year old scales to fit I bit the bullet and looked around. The best deal I could find was from Jade Products who advertise in MEW. Left a a message on Saturday morning and got a return call that afternoon. Everything was in stock and I agreed to collect it on the Monday as I was passing there on my way down south although they will ship the whole lot for 6 quid !
I bought the 3 axis model as for about 50 quid you get a 3 axis readout instead of 2 and another scale. I decided to fit one scale to the knee as I have a caliper type on the quill that works fine. Fitting was a doddle, took about 2 hours to get both scales on, not fitted the knee one yet. Plenty of screws and brackets in fact enough to upgrade my No # 7 Mecanno set to a # 34 Yes the manual is in Chinglish but after two reads it became clear and I DON'T have a classical education. Only thing i haven't studied that does need some attention is the sub routine that remembers 256 different way points. Not too bothered about that as after 124 the Alzheimer's kicks in and I can't remember what I'm doing anyway, what Bridgeport, do you live here, why am I being keep a prisoner ?
Just need to save some more beer tokens and get a couple more for the lathes.
John S.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Hi John
its Alwyn who has the dro
he's struggling with the manual
I made a mistake ...he did buy it from jade not machine dro
wonder if you could help
he has put one on his lathe
and cant work out, how to make it . MEASURE....half the diameter ..radius function...which you need on a lathe
There is a half function on it ...but it does not work like it should do
it works the opposite of what he was expecteing...and doubles up.
so would you mind ...if he phoned you up ...if you know how it works .
he's tried to ring jade over 20 times ......gets bt message saying ...no calls accepted
NOT GOOD SERVICE.
ALL THE BEST.MARKJ
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dear Mark J,
My name is John Devonport, of Jade Products, and i just wanted to respond to your post above, where you detail alleged poor service we afforded to Alwyn.
After Alwyn contacted us, we told him how to operate the radius - diameter function, going through it with him keystroke by keystroke.
As the function did not work the same as with his Accurite experience, we reported his concern to the manufacturer Sino, who gave us some further tips and procedures Alwyn could follow, to overcome his problem.
Then we phoned for him 3 or 4 times, leaving our telephone number, which is 01788 573056, which is our main business line that you can find in all our web and media presence. - We always answer our phone, and we always call people back, and we always conclude matters in a professional and courteous manner.
As Alwyn did not return our calls, we assumed he was satisfied, and the matter was closed. According to your bt message part above, maybe it's a wrong number that Alwyn dialled.
I'll call him on Monday, as it seems his problem is still live in his mind
To conclude our reply to you, - if you purchase a Sino system from Jade Products, you can be sure that it is a UK spec system, with full 3 year warranty and back up from Sino. You will receive superb service, and we will go as well, that little bit extra for you.
Regards, John Devonport
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4 Oct, 09:24, snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Sorry about the delay in answering waiting for google to come back on line.
Many apologies John
seems that Alwyn did have the wrong number .
his secretary must have jotted it down wrong or something and he continued phoning that number.
he called your posted number from above post ..and you called back strait away.
so top marks to you .
like i said ...very impressed with the quality of the sino dro that you sell . I know it's not your fault...but If they got the manual right and clear ... I would have two systems off you right away .
all the best.markj
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mark,
Thanks for your reply, - Alwyn and i did cear it up on the telephone on Saturday & today.
He was dialling 537056, and i think that may be a call box, or a phone in a pub, as they don't take incoming calls, and would return such a message.
You're right about some of the text in manuals written by foreign writers, itcan be a bit of a struggle, however, as this case demonstrates, we can get to the heart of the problem, even if the solution is not straightforward, and run you through it, keystroke by keystroke.
If you would like to purchase a Sino system at any time, please call us
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
John,

As you have demonstrated that you can understand how to operate the system despite the manual, what are the chances of writing one that others can understand? Would no doubt polish your image even further! Just a thought.
Henry
Add pictures here
βœ–

Henry,
We did offer to re write a sino image brochure once, - we thought it was well worth correcting, but when we told them this & that etc., they thanked us very warmly, but pointed out that there were 30,000 of them just bought, and they did not want to waste this consignment
As for re writing a technical manual, i don't think i could carry that off, as i lack the years of practical machining experience needed for this task.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 01:24:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote:

Well that's not bad service in my book. The two times I have had to ring Jade over buying a system to fit the lathe I have got thru both times straight away, perhaps as JD says he was dialing the wrong number.
Did he use the English country code if he was dialing from abroad - Wales ?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
βœ–

It's not the dialing code he needs, it is just that DEFRA have added a 6 month quarantine on calls from Wales :)
Add pictures here
βœ–