Comments on the reliability of Newall DROs

I've got a Newall Topaz Lathe DRO unit with a spherosyn and a microsyn sensor, both ball in tube the microsyn being a smaller diameter version with carbon fibre tube. The system was bought about 6.5 years ago but only installed about 5 years ago. Last year after 4 years use the display head power supply failed and was repaired by Newall. Now the X axis (cross slide) microsyn sensor seems to have failed in that it fails to register movement but doesn't register a signal failure. Prior to the display head failure the unit had exhibited evidence of software problems by the linear compensation getting corrupted on occasions but this was obvious as the readout values were nonsense, the Newall repair included a firmware upgrade. The newer firmware seems to have the odd glitch but better than the previous and I noticed today that the tool offsets feature doesn't work, not something I use normally. A call to Newall due shortly.

Does anyone have experience with Newall kit. I can only compare against the Sony Millman kit on my Bridgeport which is about twice as old and hasn't given me any problems and considering the cost of the Newall kit I would have expected better.

Reply to
David Billington

I have one that was on my Bullard vtl when I bought the machine. It seems to work ok so far and it is less affected by the metal dust coming off the castings I machine.

John

Reply to
john

I have a Newall C80 on my mill at home and a Topaz on the mill at work, neither have given me any problems in 5+ years on the Topaz and

4 years on the C80. I like them because of the ruggedness of the scales over traditional optical ones. At work we have a Sargon on the Hardinge lathe and the other mill, and they work fine but need to be cleaned about once a year. In a couple years we'll probably pull off the Sargon on the lathe and replace it with a Newall because the long scale is starting to give us trouble.
Reply to
woodworker88