Advice/comments on DRO

After years of keeping my head in the sand, I was contemplating fitting DRO to my lathe (Myford S7) and mill (Emco FB2). I was very tempted yesterday by some kits from Machine-DRO.co.uk, which seemed impressive.

However, before plunging in with a lot of money, I just thought I should ask here whether anyone has any experience of these products, or whether there are better brands to use, and any helpful comments about problems fitting the stuff. The Z-axis of the mill in particular will be a problem, since it has a circular column entirely surrounded by the head casting; will probably need a steel bracket at the side.

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I've got one of their kits on my CVA, it hasn't had a huge amount of use yet, but basically it seems to do what it says on the tin. Some of the mounting/adjustment screws are tiny, so I do wonder how robust it'll prove to be though I haven't had any problems in that direction. The keypad isn't as convenient to use as others I've tried, and a common complaint is that the display is too precise - too many digits.

It is possible, though a bit of a pain, to reduce the precision on startup, but possibly simpler just to cover the last digit with tape. I haven't tried any of the fancy functions yet.

I nearly wrecked a part when I somehow managed to switch from diameter to radius reading without realising it. My fault, but I don't know how I managed it, to my mind ideally that sort of switch ought to be deliberately awkward to make.

No complaints, just little niggles, and good value for money IMO.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

A friend has just taken delivery of the 3-axis version for his Centec-2A and I've started him off on the road to fitting it. The kit seems rather well made and good value for money - my 3-axis Newall cost twice as much. Like the Newall, the kit includes an assortment of bracketry, but also like the Newall, almost none of it is any use for the Centec. I have to say that, had the Machine-DRO kit been available at the time I bought my Newall, I would have gone for that and saved myself around £500.

Reply to
lemel_man

There are many available, like the Shumatech DRO-350 (DIY), Sino (sold in Europe under the "Meister" brand (because the European importer is an $censored)). It mostly depends on what type of scales you want to mount and how much you want to spend or can afford.

Shameless plug: Not to forget my DRO (see sig).

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

In article , Tim Leech writes

Many thanks for that, Tim; most useful. "Too much precision" sounds like an oxymoron to me - the same time I was looking at the DRO kits, I was working out the settings for machining a complex dome, needed to do the settings in tenths to get the shape close enough.

But putting a scale on the S7 cross slide looks like a bugger - I'd lose access to the gib adjusters and the lock-down bolt, or have it sticking out a mile....

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks Gary, that is most helpful. I guess I can stop looking for alternatives, just have to decide if I can fit it....

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Thanks. I think the Machine-DRO display consoles say "Sino" on them.

Your YADRO looks most impressive - but a lot of work.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Machine-DRO are selling the Sino scales ;) and they work nicely via the dongles on a DRO350.

One solution to the size problem is to use a Chinese scale on the cross-slide. Needs a little protection, but less bulk. Then use the glass scale on the longer axis.

Reply to
Lester Caine

Leser is selling assembled boards. But most work will be installing the scales if you don't have a dedicated kit. Anyhow, pick the DRO *you* want.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

For the past seven or eight years I have used a DRO from BW Electronics, who used to advertise in Model Engineer, and it has performed flawlessly. Initially, I was attracted by the design, which allows the unit to be unclipped from its clips and transferred to another machine, such a mill. In the event, after six months or so, I was so pleased with it that I bought a second set, for use on the mill alone.

My particular unit is specifically designed for the Myford and the Y axis unit runs snugly along the headstock side of the cross-slide, below the level of the table, therefore allowing unrestricted access to the gib adjusters on the opposite side. The X axis runs along the back of the bed, attaching to the existing pre-drilled holes provided for the taper attachment.

The only snag is that the Y axis unit has to be removed in order to fit a traveling steady, this takes about one minute on the rare occasions when the need arises.

If its of any use, I would happily e-mail a couple of photos off list. --

Chris Edwards

Interesting idea, thanks!

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

How much accuracy would one lose by having a spring tensioned wire attached to the front of the cross slide go round a pulley or grooved post, to a scale mounted left to right at the back of the saddle? Just wondering.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Probably as accurate as simply fitting a rotary encoder to the pulley :) Only problem I see here is that the scale has to be attached to the cross slide anyway, so it may ass well be down the side rather than getting in the way sticking forward or backwards? The wire approach round a rotary encoder is probably the smallest footprint.

Reply to
Lester Caine

I bought mine at last year's Harrogate show, where they were offering a pretty good 'show discount'. Might be worth a wait if you were thinking of heading that way. Of course, they're a bit more established now so might not be so 'generous' this year.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

There used to be a system based on that principle...J.S. had one in his workshop at one point IIRC...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

In article , Chris Edwards writes

The Y axis location sounds interesting - I didn't think one would easily fit there, but the other side gets in the way of the various adjusting/locking screws. The X axis location on the back is inevitable

- shame, I have a taper turning attachment there, but to be fair I only use it once in a blue moon.

That would be very helpful, Chris, thanks. The above address is of course munged, the correct one is david at dlittlewood dot co dot uk.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

You have mail

--

Chris Edwards

Last month, I sent a request for more info on a DRO system for my ML7 or S7B. Whilst I can stumble on in the workshop, I realise that things have moved on. With failing bits, I could do with a DRO. The only bit that hasn't really failed is my bank balance. At 76+, wow! Can I get a response from one of the contributors, can I fly? I hope the rest of you get better level of service.

Reply to
ravensworth2674

Norman

I've just sent you a copy of the info I've sent to David Littlewood.

--

Chris Edwards

Thanks Chris for the prompt help.

After all, it is only money!