myford DRO at Harrogate

I think it was Hull SMEE had a nice Myford with nice looking DRO. I have had a look at their website and can't find much on it. Can anyone
point me at info for installing DRO on an old super 7. Cheers Nick
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I understand that http://www.newall.co.uk/ produce a kit of for the s7.
not cheap though.
Might be worth a look at these http://www.machine-dro.co.uk / http://onyx-dro.co.uk /
I've purchased from Machine DRO successfully and I know someone who has used Onyx without problems.
If you fancy a more diy approach have a look at YADRO (Yet Another DRO) http://www.yadro.de/
hth
Bob
On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:22:44 +0100, Bob Minchin

I missed the Myford dro setup at Harrogate, saw the lathe but thought it was 'just a shiny Myford'. I would have been interested as it had, apparently, a 3-input display with a third scale on the compound. I believe the kit was Sino & came from machine-dro, I've just had delivery from them of DRO gear to fit to a CVA lathe. I'd been tempted by the very attractive prices offered at the show by Allendale electronics, but after chatting on the phone with the very friendly guy at machine-dro and a bit of haggling plumped for Sino gear from them. One of the attractions was that the display closely matches one I already have in use, saves confusion, but as a bonus includes the option of a third input for the compound if I feel like splashing out for another scale at a later date. There's been a writeup in MEW recently which I believe may be the same Myford lathe, unfortunately the desription of fitting the DRO is a bit skimpy & not terribly well illustrated (IMO).
Tim

Machine-dro is Allendale...
moray
On Sat, 17 May 2008 21:12:09 +0100, "moray"

Yes, we've done that one lower down the thread <g>.
It was Jade aka digital-caliper.co.uk wot I bought from.
Tim

I noticed that just after hitting the send button! I'll try and read the whole thread before speaking in future...
moray
The lathe at Harrogate was mine :)
If anyone wants more info on the DRO setup I will happily correspond via email.
The DRO was bought from Digital-caliper.co.uk because they are the registered agents for Sino in the UK. Whilst I know Allendale also sell them, they dont buy them throught the registered dealer network, or direct from Sino themselves, and as such could not offer the full 3 year warranty.
In terms of pricing Jade ( digital-caliper ) are matching Allendale ( machine-dro ) prices.
Rgds Keith snipped-for-privacy@richmondrd.karoo.co.uk
--
richmond
richmond wrote:

Richard - ONCE I can get the email interface working properly I will be creating a forum and information group on my site for DRO's in general. Shumatech, Yadro, Chinese Scales and Glass Scales and all that goes with them. I'm planning to have proper articles on installations rather than just pictures, so any material to put something together for your set-up ... Same goes for anybody else. The site uses a wiki interface for creating pages so I can even have people editing their own articles ;)

Just for the record - this was the original hiccup with the Sino 'registered dealer network'. When I tried to investigate bringing them in, the European prices were totally silly, and that is when Allendale started to bring them in direct at a much more reasonable price. So it does sound as if the 'problem' has now been resolved and Sino have removed a particular continental block. Now the prices are more in line with those on the American market so it's not worth shipping them from the States :)
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------

See the current issue of MEW (issue 139), where there is an article on this, written I believe by the same chap who was displaying the Myford you refer to. He obtained his DRO equipment from Jade Electronics, who I see describe themselves as the official importers of the Sino DRO equipment. There was also an article by the proprietors of another company, Machine-DRO, last year (issue 126) on the same subject, also using Sino DROs.
The earlier article has more comprehensive details on how to actually fit the DRO, but I personally prefer the choice of location of the scales in the later article, and like the look of the smaller scales about to become available.
I myself fitted Sino DROs to my milling machine last year, and it has done everything I expected of it. You would have to kill me to take it away now. I shall probably fit it to my lathe when the new smaller scales are available.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:29:31 +0100, David Littlewood

Machine-dro is part of Jade products. They also have Onyx which sells their 'budget' range of DRO gear, which unfortunately doesn't include small profile scales.

Unfortunately I didn't see the earlier article. I really ought to take out that subscription....

I've had Sino dro on another lathe for a couple of years, it's a bit of a pain on the imperial setting as the display shows more precision than is 'real' but otherwise I've been very pleased.
Tim

Looking at the Wi-Fi Antennas/Allendale site on EBay it seems Machine DRO are part of that set up
Henry
On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:28:30 +0100, "Dragon"

You're right, of course, my mistake. Jade trade under digital-caliper.co.uk for their Sino sales.
http://www.digital-caliper.co.uk /
Tim

Yes, on my console (Sino SDS2MS) you can change the resolution on the metric scale; I hadn't realise until you wrote (and I went and tried it) that it did not change on the imperial setting. As I've actually not yet used it on imperial (I try to work in metric when I can) I have not found this a problem, but I can see what you mean, all those numbers could be confusing.
David
--
David Littlewood

On Sun, 18 May 2008 12:35:42 +0100, David Littlewood

One 'solution' is just to stick some tape over the last digits on the display, I haven't yet resorted to doing that.
Tim

I find that, in metric, the 5um resolution is quite usable: it matches the accuracy of the scale, and it is quite possible to set the table to that precision, provided you allow for a tiny change on tightening the locking screw. Might be more accuracy than I normally need, but it is somehow reassuring. The only real bugbear is that on the Z (column) axis, when going down, the head sometimes sticks and then goes down with a slight jerk. Not a problem of the DRO though.
--
David Littlewood