scrap iron/steel prices

It's a good idea to keep an eye on this chaps.
http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/metalsPrices.jsp
A few months ago ferrous scrap was about 4p a kilo and hardly worth selling.
It's gone up 50% in the last month alone and is now about 23p a kilo. More than 1/4 of the price of aluminium. That scrap car you have lying on the drive is now worth 230 a tonne. An old car engine is worth 25 and even an old steel car wheel is about 2.
I'm keeping an eye on it for a bit before I cash in the several hundred kg of engine blocks and heads I have lying around in the workshop but at least they're worth six times what they were last year. I expect them to be worth even more next month.
--
Dave Baker
Puma Race Engines

yeah. 's no wonder there are an increasing supply of tat-dealers coming looking for scrap.
Dave Baker wrote:

bugger.
just when I want to buy some
--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.

A mill is classed as balling scrap and as such is worth a bit less.Class A which is the top price is short heavy which is steel under 5ft long.

It's a bugger for me if aluminium is equally effected. Having just bought a flamefast furnace I thought that knackered K series engines could be a good source of scrap!
Charles
On Mon, 19 May 2008 10:38:03 -0700 (PDT), Charles Ping

If I can't get the bloody Vauxhall through its MOT before I deliver said furnace, you can make me an offer on 5 ally wheels plus a 2.5l V6 ally engine and gearbox, delivered :-(
Mark Rand RTFM