Tailstock Mods for Sieg C6B

Once I'd completed my Nemett 4 stroke, modifications to the lathe became evident.
www.btinternet.com/~steve.withnell/lathe/tailstock.JPG

a) Moving the tailstock not only required a spanner, but the nut needed unscrewing a couple of turns, then by applying thumb pressure in the right place, the tailstock would then deign to slide up and down. Real PiA. Quite a few articles on adding camlocks, one using bits of bike and another by David Rulezman (http://www.rulezman.com/rulezman_workshop_2/tailstock_camlock.html ) which has a really nice camlock mod. Reading David's article the problem with the tailstock (and no doubt a number of other chinese lathes) is that the drawbar appears to be a chinese version of a coachbolt and the clamp a old clog iron. By making a bespoke drawbar, converting the clog iron to a respectable clamping plate, the tailstock will slide freely and lock down tight in less than half a turn of the nut, which makes a lever possible and the spanner ( and thumb) redundant.
b) Trying to focus on drilling the workpiece whilst counting turns on the handwheel finally came to a head when I was trying to drill a 0.7mm hole 17.5mm deep in a brass rod. I got it right first time, so tailstock DRO was added, now I can focus on the cutting not the counting.
Both mods should be directly applicable to most chinese tailstocks they all look remarkably similar.
PS: Where can I get Sieg Red and Warco Green? I should really paint the add ons.
Steve

Per their catalogue, Warco sell green paint for touching up their machines.
David
--
David Littlewood

That tailstock mod by Rulezman is a bit over the top, compared to this one.
http://www.bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20camlock.html
I've just changed the stupid nut system that was on my EMCO Maximat Mentor V 10, only took me a couple of hours to do it. Used this mod from Steve Bedairs site and I should have done it years ago, boy is it easy to use now.
greenie :D
--
ggreenie
On Sun, 18 May 2008 22:27:28 +0100, "Steve"

<snip>
Steve, I notice that you've posted that on your BT Internet web space. I haven't been able to access my BT web space for 6 months via FTP, and my pages use the same URL format - www.btinternet.com/~ then name etc. Can I ask what FTP address you're using to access yours please? The original ftp.btinternet.com then e-mail address and password just gets me to a server location without my files in it and to which I'm denied any upload/download access. Thanks
Peter

I'm using ftp.btopenworld.com which has worked consistently for me. I just deleted some of my sons stuff which has been dormant at least five years from the server.
Steve
On Mon, 19 May 2008 09:42:36 +0100, Peter Neill wrote:

If all else fails you could ask in 'bt.broadband.support or one of the bt. homepage groups. HTH
--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l