Tailstock Mods for Sieg C6B

Once I'd completed my Nemett 4 stroke, modifications to the lathe became evident.

a) Moving the tailstock not only required a spanner, but the nut needed unscrewing a couple of turns, then by applying thumb pressure in the right place, the tailstock would then deign to slide up and down. Real PiA. Quite a few articles on adding camlocks, one using bits of bike and another by David Rulezman

) which has a really nice camlock mod. Reading David's article the problem with the tailstock (and no doubt a number of other chinese lathes) is that the drawbar appears to be a chinese version of a coachbolt and the clamp a old clog iron. By making a bespoke drawbar, converting the clog iron to a respectable clamping plate, the tailstock will slide freely and lock down tight in less than half a turn of the nut, which makes a lever possible and the spanner ( and thumb) redundant.

b) Trying to focus on drilling the workpiece whilst counting turns on the handwheel finally came to a head when I was trying to drill a 0.7mm hole

17.5mm deep in a brass rod. I got it right first time, so tailstock DRO was added, now I can focus on the cutting not the counting.

Both mods should be directly applicable to most chinese tailstocks they all look remarkably similar.

PS: Where can I get Sieg Red and Warco Green? I should really paint the add ons.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In article , Steve writes

Per their catalogue, Warco sell green paint for touching up their machines.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

That tailstock mod by Rulezman is a bit over the top, compared to this one.

I've just changed the stupid nut system that was on my EMCO Maximat Mentor V 10, only took me a couple of hours to do it. Used this mod from Steve Bedairs site and I should have done it years ago, boy is it easy to use now.

greenie :D

Reply to
ggreenie

Steve, I notice that you've posted that on your BT Internet web space. I haven't been able to access my BT web space for 6 months via FTP, and my pages use the same URL format -

then name etc. Can I ask what FTP address you're using to access yours please? The original ftp.btinternet.com then e-mail address and password just gets me to a server location without my files in it and to which I'm denied any upload/download access. Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I'm using ftp.btopenworld.com which has worked consistently for me. I just deleted some of my sons stuff which has been dormant at least five years from the server.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If all else fails you could ask in 'bt.broadband.support or one of the bt. homepage groups. HTH

Reply to
Neil Ellwood