converting little gas engine to steam

I was thinking about converting a little 1 cylinder gas engine to run off steam.

It should work, right? how impractical?

Reply to
Tater Schuld

It's not trivial and the performance will be awful. The valve timing is totally wrong and steam engines like to have double-acting pistons.

If you have the machine tools and skill to convert a gas engine to steam, you might as well go all the way and build a steam engine from scratch.

I suggest getting some back issues of "Live Steam" magazine and looking on ebay for some classic textbooks on steam engineering.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Generally a very low efficiency system for getting power. Generally, the timing of the valves are fixed and that means that you don't get a lot of expansion efficiency from the steam and thus you boil a lot of water to get the work done. In addition, since the engine will be single acting, the power will be low as more than 1/2 of the time, the engine will be just not producing power.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Reply to
David Billington

I saw that article on the VW. Looked like a nightmare to me.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

And the answers are:

Yes! and VERY!

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Live Steam or maybe HSM had a series a while back about a steam-converted VW.

Bob Sw>

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Despite the nay-sayers, there is a practical method which I will scan and send you off-list. By the way there were steam locos built that were single-acting: not that great but it was done. Many of the really high-speed engines were single-acting. Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

Thanks much. I can see that there is *some* work involved, and I may just forgo doing the conversion and build from scratch. any *simple* double action engines anyone can suggest? I'll go wander thru google

Reply to
Tater Schuld

You might be able to convert a 2-cycle to a uniflow-type engine but I rather think you'd end up putting as much effort into it as you would into a scratch-built design. The stroke probably wouldn't be as long as it should be for efficient expansion and you'd end up making a new head with some sort of valve gear in it for steam admission. Then there's the lubrication issues and crankcase drainage issues. You COULD make it work, though. You'd get more power out in its original incarnation as a gas engine.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Tater sez:

If you are understanding there is some work involved you are heading in the right direction. IMO, you'd be well advised to start with a simple, single-acting engine. There is a great book on engine construction, "Elmer's Engines"...out of print now, but you can probably get a copy from one of the book sellers. Elmer guides you through engines of varying complexity using stock forms. Another good start would be with one of the kits; recommend Tiny Power.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

How about using the crank case and use the piston as a "cross head" and add a double acting cylinder in pace of the original head. New valves would of course have to be designed.

Bill K7NOM

Reply to
Bill Janssen

Engineman1