Hilti DS HS 80 Gas cutoff saw

I posted on the home and construction newsgroups and didn't get any response so I thought some of you guys have gas cutoff saws could comment on its reliability.

Anyone had good luck or know anything about this " heavy duty contractor" gas saw? I see Hilti is having problems and took it out of production. Expensive saw but got it at a good deal, last one with a 10 diamond blade package. Reliability is a hit or miss and I hope I didn't end up with a lemon and would be out of luck after 30 days. Hilti won't release the percentage of defects so I couldn't gauge what my chances of ending up with either a good or bad one, but the returns seems high and seems to be engine related problems.

I was in the store the other day and saw the smaller DS HS 60 gas saw won't start and was return as defective, - maybe cylinder/engine issues, by a contractor who know how to use gas saws.Warranty is only 30 days and sucks big time with no extended warranty available at any price. Hilti has great products but the gas saws has the same warranty as the low end Harbor Freight's gas saw but at 4x the price.

Reply to
** Frank **

One of the problems with all gas saws is that they suck up a lot of crud from the cutting into the intake. The filter will get clogged in a hurry. Then some bright guy decides to remove the filter and run it without it.

I got one like that and replaced the piston and rings. It now runs fine. This one was a Stihl concrete saw.

John

Reply to
John

Stihl and Partner are the most common demolition/cutoff saws in the construction industry. The Stihl's are pretty heavy though.

Reply to
rustyjames

I don't own one, but I think you just gave me a lot of reasons not to buy one. If I was you, I'd return that thing Monday morning. To me, a 30 day warranty says "Our product sucks out loud and we know it".

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I have one of those hilti cutoff/concrete cutting saws sitting here in my garage - waiting for spring to fully spring so I can sell it on the dreaded ebay to someone who needs it - if anyone might be interested, I'd rathere sell it here a little cheaper, so email me for details (get my email address from my web page,

it seems to be well built and has a filter system that should clog up slowly compared to some I can imag>>

Reply to
William Noble

Carl, Look at it another way. These are usually commercial use tools subject to a broad spectrum of operator skill levels. Here we have a tool, a saw in this case that can easilly be destroyed by abuse and poor or no maintenance. If the saw had a defect it would probably show up rather early in use. Using it right, mixing the fuel correctly, and keeping up with the air filters will keep this saw in service a long time.

Where 30 days is a short warrenty, I can see how the manufacturer wants to limit it.

I know, I have a Stihl TS760. I use it to cut steel

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

Wow, 111 cc, 6.5 hp and hand held! The big Hilti is only 80cc.

Hilti changed the requirements from a 50:1 fuel mix to 25:1, maybe to compensate engine problems. Do you guys see problems running it that rich? Engine is Husqvarna, usually reliable. Wonder if the Husqvarna cutoff saws have the same issues as the Hilti. Those, Stihl and Husqvarna, are chainsaw engines with a reliable history, right?

My Husqvarna weed wacker has fuel ratio is 50:1, so far so good.

Reply to
** Frank **

I put a 30:1 mixture tyhat I mixed for an old chain saw in a weed wacker and it refused to run. Went and mixed some 50:1 and it ran fine.

John

Reply to
john

Less gas gets through the jet with the thicker 30:1 mix. It was probably just a little bit too lean. Few people realise that the oil ratio has a considerable effect on the mixture that gets into the cylinder. I only know because I regularily run an engine designed for 10:1. On older engines one could ajust the mixture screw to compensate. . .

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Kind of like the turf equipment we sell- which carries a basic two-year warranty (extended warranty available). Believe me, if there is a way to wreck equipment, a high-school dropout mowing a football field or golf course fairway will find it.

Sorry, but to me a 30 day warranty is an admission of failure. Just my .02.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns