Coolant life - increase Ph?

I'm moving into the season where I don't use the shop everyday. Last year the coolant in the surface grinder changed into some of the most awful foul stuff you can imagine. Think curdled milk only worse. The smell was unique and permeated the shop for a long time. I got some of it in a cut on my hand and it festered.

I just bought two aerator (fish tank) pumps to run in the CNC lathe and surface grinder. Also bought a gallon of biocide for coolant. I'll plan on putting in this as called for by the label.

I was looking at another product for keeping the coolant from going foul. It increases the Ph of the solution. So, would it be a good idea to add a pinch of drain cleaner or purple degreaser to the coolant? Would this harm any of the equipment?

I want to do EVERYTHING to avoid a repeat of last year.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Not sure if this would work, but I'm sure someone could try it on a batch sitting out somewhere and see what happens... Algeacide. Preferably with copper. Used for wintertime pool closures where you want the water to be somewhat clean and clear the next spring when you open the baby up. I just gave away 25 gallons of the stuff a neighbor donated to our local charity. (What in the world did they think I was going to do with it?!?)

Anyhow... I sure wouldn't add too much, but it may keep the coolant "fresh" for all I know. No clue what it would do to machines and/or tooling. But if it is safe for concrete pools, vermiculite(sp?) pool liners, pool punps and ladders, etc. it should be safe for anything in the shop other than maybe aluminum...

Somebody out there try it and give us all a report. If we all send you $1 afterwards as reward or payment for damaged machienry and tools, it should be a no risk situation. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

In or near NJ and ride a Motorcycle:

Young Life? eMail me!

Reply to