Cleaning of clausing 8530 mill and lathe?

So, I have this mill and lathe:

Pix of them in my garage are at
I would like to give both a thorough cleaning, but am afraid to do something stupid. In particular, if you look at the last 3 pictures, you will see that the horizontal "arm" of the mill is all gunked up. It is not as rusty as it is just covered with polymerized oil (or so I think, anyway). Can I use over cleaner and scotchbrite to try to get that stuff off? How about steel wool? I doubt that sandpaper is appropriate...

Ignoramus14555

I would start with a kitch pot scrubber or bathroom scrubber and WD40. If that doesn't take the crud off, switch to an abrasive pad. WD40 and paper towels will remove a lot of crud all by itself.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

I will try that (WD40 and kitchen scrubbers). Thanks. Will post pictures if I make any progress.

Ignoramus14555

Oven cleaner will lift the paint.

This is the one place I can think of that WD-40 is actually good for something. And a green kitchen scrubbing pad.

Gunner

Gunner

Got it, thanks.

I will try that tonight. I will spray wd-40, wait an hour or so, and then will use a kitchen scrubbing pad and paper towels/newspapers.

Ignoramus14555

Dont wait so long. The solvents will evaporate. Spray well, from top to bottom, then start wiping at the top. The scrubbing pad will help break up the layers of spooge as the solvent works its way into the spooge.

Gunner

Gunner

Alright, will, hopefully, try tonight.

Ignoramus14555

Your machines are real clean compared to a surface grinder and CNC mill that I bought from a place that used oil for coolant. Gunk was over 1/4 inch thick. For these units, I set them outside in the sun on a warm day. Then sprayed down with engine degreaser, I call it the purple stuff. After a couple coats had soaked in, I hit both machines with a 4000 psi 200 degree hot pressure washer. Both units cleaned right up. As soon as I finished cleaning, I opened as many covers as possible, sprayed in WD-40 to prevent rusting. The whole procedure worked great.

Overkill for your machines, but at least you know degreaser will work on a stubborn spot.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Thanks. I will try gentle approaches first. I do not want to spray my mill with a pressure washer. I want to clean it with WD-40, scotch brite, vacuum them, blow with a compressed air gun etc.

By the way, what do you think about the bed wear on these two items? I posted some very detailed pictures of their beds.

Ignoramus14555

Use the blue ScotchBrite brand, not the green. Less abrasive but still scrubby.

Old credit cards make good non-scratching scrapers. With the lending biz as it has been the last few years, these tend to pile up in my drawer faster than I use them up.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

thanks...

Ignoramus14555

Using compressed air to clean machine tools can be a bad idea - it tends to blow particles into all sorts of places that you don't want them.

Reply to
Mike Henry

New credit cards work just as well.

Abrasha