$850 for Clausing 8530 mill + Clausing 2' lathe?

A guy is offering his Clausing mdl 008530 s/n 009852 mill, and a clausing lathe for sale for $850. I am wondering if it is a fair price. I will probably sell the mill and keep the lathe. It is a garage sale type of deal.

The mill is about 6" tall and very heavy. I would like to know how much it weighs. The lathe is small, about 2' between centers, but has power feed (so does the mill). Everything seems to work and there is no excessive wear and no play.

Also, I am not sure how to transport this stuff, the lathe is easy, but the mill is going to be difficult.

i i

Reply to
Ignoramus25521

If you didn't already buy them, I expect they're gone. If he still has them, grab 'em.

Steve

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Where are you located?

Reply to
Eide

I just talked to him again, and confirmed that I will definitely buy them. He is a nice 60+ old guy, too sick to work on these tools. I hope that he won't renege on his agreement, but everything is possible. If he reneges, tough shit.

We already negotiated the price and mutually agreed when we met, I was posting here just to doublecheck.

That said, I have NO idea how to get this mill home. He suggests to rent a truck with a liftgate.

Forgot to say, he also had a Delta/Rockwell 48" center to center lathe, but it is too big for me. He wants $1,000 for it.

Ignoramus25521

I am in N Illinois.

Ignoramus25521

Get a rigger to do it. By the time you rent a truck or trailer and maybe some lifting equipment, screw around trying to figure it out, risk damaging the mill and/or your body, and spend most of a day, it just isn't worth it. Especially with the deal you're getting. Just pay for someone to do it. And you'll get the lathe moved along with it for practically nothing extra.

Just my $.02, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Ignoramus25521 wrote in news:d3ub73 $8h7$ snipped-for-privacy@pita.alt.net:

For $850, I hope you jerked his arm off handing him the money. As for getting it home, few possibilities: a) liftgate truck, b) U-haul low trailer. In any regard you will need some machinery rollers, should be able to rent those at the nearest equipment rental place for cheap.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks. I offered him some, but he said there was no need for it. I do not know how to interpret it, that he is a very trusting person, or that he is hoping to come along a better deal for himself.

The chance that he will call me and call off the deal, is not zero.

I like the idea of a machinery roller. All in all, if I can find someone to do if for me for say $100-150, I will hire them. If not, I will mess around with liftgates.

Ignoramus25521

Maybe I will rent a trailer and a forklift. That would solve all my problems. I hope that forklifts are easy to use. It is kind of costly though.

Ignoramus25521

how far are you from Rock Island? been looking for a mill

Reply to
jay s

If by any chance the machine has a lifting eye, and you are not going far, a good solution is an auto wrecker, just haul it on the hook. This is especially attractive for top heavy machines, which might tip with many of the alternatives.

Richard

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

2 hours. i

Reply to
Ignoramus25521

Yes, it is a top heavy mill. I will give it a though, although I am afraid that those wreckers cannot raise their hook high enough.

Ignoramus25521

Just a thought, you and I could save some costs by you coming with me, at some point, and picking the mill up from that guy. You would pay me a price that is lower than going ebay prices.

Ignoramus25521

This is my tale of moving a Clausing 8540 (horizontal mill):

These things are very top-heavy, so it's best to lift them from above, not below!

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

a good but scary story, thanks.

Ignoramus7702

I suggest involving a friend. It is way easier to avoid doing something stupid when you have two heads.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

A wrecker is what I hired to get a 6' tall air hammer out of my pickup. He had a hydraulically extending boom with plenty of reach.

Steve

Ignoramus25521 wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

when you have two heads.

And remember..Time is on your side. Stop. Think. Think Again. Move slowly. If you rush...you will break something, or get hurt.

Rushing and not thinking is dangerous.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child - miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner

Along those same lines... take some lumber along for bridging. If you have to move the mill on the hook very far, bridge the legs with the lumber and lower the mill on to the lumber. Move it close to your destination and raise it up again. Don't try to save time by moving the mill on the hook.

Cheers,

Kelley

Reply to
Kelley Mascher