Craiglist Mill Gloat

Not to exciting to you eastern boys but here in Idaho been looking for a decent mill for awhile. Found an older 5hp 10X54 Taiwan built Acra - CK-4HK
for $400. weighs about 3,000lbs ?? Guy listed it as Machine mill Acura :-) was there at first light, and he said he had several more calls, imagine that! I handed him $20 bills and got a bill of sale. And went to fetch a trailer, to haul it 110 miles to home setting on my shop floor now. Can't really find too much info on it on the web found the Acra website but doesn't list older models but pretty a much a Bridgeport clone so not too big of problem pretty decent shape cept for a couple broken handles and the powerfeed case is smashed. owner tipped it over at some point unloading it. just need some serious cleaning,a VFD and a couple parts to get it going
this is a great deal!!!

Had that happen when I bought my 9" SB-"A" Guy ahead of me had to make a phone call but I had the cash in my pocket!

--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

On closer inspection today the 5 hp motor is a 3hp three of us looked at it from the ground and saw 5hp on the tag but from the amperage it has to be 3hp good really as a 3hp VFD is much easier and cheaper going with the Hitachi, WJ200-022SF $315 on Ebay Unless I find something better.
On 10/4/2014 11:01 PM, L Fisk wrote:

And one never knows what specmanship is going on - is that 5hp stall ?
Martin

That is a variable speed mill, if you put a VFD on it there is a very real risk of overheating the motor or shattering the rotor.
On 10/13/2014 11:52 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

Why would it being a variable speed mill make a difference?

real

Cooling fan speed is dependant on motor rpms, if it is run at low speed under all but very light shaft loading the motor will overheat due to insufficient air flow across the windings.

Good gloat, Leon. You suck!
I just survived a trip to California to watch my niece get married, but I picked up a cold/flu bug. It sucked all the fun out of the trip to _Gunnerland_, if you can believe that. I had a chance to get to the range with Gunner and had to pass it up. I could barely stand up, let alone run around a rifle range. PISSED ME OFF, IT DID. I'm hoping I can get back to work next Monday, just before a rainstorm comes in to ruin the rest of my week.
I came home with a little MIG setup (repairable, no feed drive but a spool gun attached), a leetle 25A plasma cutter, a table saur, a 50' roll of artist's canvas, some scrap s/s and plain steel cutoffs, a dual-trace o-scope, a DVM, a sweep gen, a dozen blacksmithing and metalworking hammers, an axe, 30# of various stick and TIG filler, some TIG electrodes, a small gen head I can power with a bicycle or gas engine, a bicycle stand, plus a few hundred pounds of various and good "stuff", and a disk drive full of survival info. So I get to gloat, too. </neener>
--
Give me the luxuries of life.
I can live without the necessities.

Yeah, what I SHOULD have done is offered to let you strap me onto a hand truck and go shooting that day. I couldn't have made it otherwise. Whew!
I was out of breath just brewing coffee, cooking bacon, strangling eggs, and plopping a cold pastry this morning, fer chrissake.