crossed roller bearings - vibration?

Anyone have any idea how crossed roller bearing ways would compare against linear rails and carriages for milling operations? I would think the roller bearings would have more surface contact than the ball bearings in the linear rails. Which would have less vibration?

I already have both types of linear ways in my junk box and am trying to decide which one to use to make a small benchtop milling machine, something like 12" x

16" x 12" travel and using a sherline spindle (which I also have).

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
rick

Are you asking which will introduce less vibration. or which will tolerate or damp vibration better, or something else? By linear ways do you mean Thomson type bearings or THK type recirculating ball slides?

Crossed roller bearings generally have higher load ratings, but are less tolerant of contamination. Balls will do a fair job of plowing crud out of the races--rollers tend to want to keep running over it.

Non-recirculating linear bearings are typically smoother than recirculating bearings, but this is more often an issue in metrology than machining.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks Ned. I knew about the contamination issue of the roller bearings. I was wondering if since some VMCs are made using the THK type recirculating ball slides, if the crossed roller bearings might be even better for vibration (boxed or dovetail ways of course being the best).

Rick

Reply to
rick