crossed roller bearings - vibration?

Anyone have any idea how crossed roller bearing ways would compare against
linear rails and carriages for milling operations? I would think the roller
bearings would have more surface contact than the ball bearings in the linear
rails. Which would have less vibration?
I already have both types of linear ways in my junk box and am trying to decide
which one to use to make a small benchtop milling machine, something like 12" x
16" x 12" travel and using a sherline spindle (which I also have).
Thanks,
Rick
Reply to
rick
Are you asking which will introduce less vibration. or which will tolerate or damp vibration better, or something else? By linear ways do you mean Thomson type bearings or THK type recirculating ball slides?
Crossed roller bearings generally have higher load ratings, but are less tolerant of contamination. Balls will do a fair job of plowing crud out of the races--rollers tend to want to keep running over it.
Non-recirculating linear bearings are typically smoother than recirculating bearings, but this is more often an issue in metrology than machining.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Thanks Ned. I knew about the contamination issue of the roller bearings. I was wondering if since some VMCs are made using the THK type recirculating ball slides, if the crossed roller bearings might be even better for vibration (boxed or dovetail ways of course being the best).
Rick
Reply to
rick