Cutting Stainless Steel

I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting
furnace. Can stainless be cut using
oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?
Thanks, John Lovallo
Reply to
John Lovallo
It can, yes. Not as easily as most steels, but it'll cut.
Reply to
Ian Stirling
Try using a plasma cutter, works great on stainless. Oxy-acetylene will make a mess.
Reply to
Bruce Johnstone
If you can use plasma. OA doesn't really work well for SS. Unlike carbon steel where OA works well, OA on SS is more of a melt it and blow it away process. It doesn't give good results.
John Lovallo wrote:
Reply to
David Billington
One technique I've heard of (but not tried myself, since I have a plasma cutter) is to lay a sheet of plain steel over the stainless and then use an oxy-cutter.
The heat of the burning steel apparently does a much better job of cutting the stainless than the oxy-torch it self would do.
Has anyone used this technique?
-- Yes it's true, I really am crazy! Look what I'm doing now
you can contact me via
Bruce Simpson
Save yourself some grief and cut it with an abrasive disk. Regards. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Davey
No, not successfully, anyway. You can melt it away, but that's pretty ugly. I'll leave the suggestions as to how for those that know so much more than I do.
Harold
Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos
I had to cut a SS tank once where other methods wouldn't work. Oxy-Ace worked, melted an ugly hole the right size which I refinished with epoxy.
Reply to
Nick Hull
jW> Lay a heavy bead of regular steel welding rod where you want the cut---Then jW> cut jW> through that & the S.S. below goes with it---of course, a plasma cutter is jW> the easiest, but lacking that --this is not too messy .. & you can get an jW> ole rock from the creek bed, and rub on the edge 'till it gets smooth..
jW> John Lovallo wrote:
A cheap, big, import angle grinder with a cutting disc? I recently cut a number of 40mm (mild steel) bars with one of these with no sweat. A stainless tank should be easy.
Reply to
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
Lay a heavy bead of regular steel welding rod where you want the cut---Then cut through that & the S.S. below goes with it---of course, a plasma cutter is the easiest, but lacking that --this is not too messy .. & you can get an ole rock from the creek bed, and rub on the edge 'till it gets smooth..
John Lovallo wrote:
Reply to
jerry Wass