Cutting Stainless Steel

I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting furnace. Can stainless be cut using oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut?

Thanks, John Lovallo

Reply to
John Lovallo

It can, yes. Not as easily as most steels, but it'll cut.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Try using a plasma cutter, works great on stainless. Oxy-acetylene will make a mess.

Reply to
Bruce Johnstone

Reply to
David Billington

One technique I've heard of (but not tried myself, since I have a plasma cutter) is to lay a sheet of plain steel over the stainless and then use an oxy-cutter.

The heat of the burning steel apparently does a much better job of cutting the stainless than the oxy-torch it self would do.

Has anyone used this technique?

-- Yes it's true, I really am crazy! Look what I'm doing now

you can contact me via

Bruce Simpson

Save yourself some grief and cut it with an abrasive disk. Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

No, not successfully, anyway. You can melt it away, but that's pretty ugly. I'll leave the suggestions as to how for those that know so much more than I do.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I had to cut a SS tank once where other methods wouldn't work. Oxy-Ace worked, melted an ugly hole the right size which I refinished with epoxy.

Reply to
Nick Hull

jW> Lay a heavy bead of regular steel weld >> I have a stainless steel tank that I would like to cut to make a casting >> furnace. Can stainless be cut using >> oxy-acetylene? Otherwise what is the best way to cut? >> >> Thanks, John Lovallo

A cheap, big, import angle grinder with a cutting disc? I recently cut a number of 40mm (mild steel) bars with one of these with no sweat. A stainless tank should be easy.

Reply to
Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Reply to
jerry Wass