Cutting Thick With Small Tools

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 04:24:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

FWIW, the words are "coarse" for thread and "vertical" for upright. Are you having an off day, G-mon?

Suckage, but thanks.

I'll experiment on my drag bag and do yours second.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You best bet is probably to buy them already cut. Many materials suppliers will cut them for you - of course you will pay for the service. And I'm saying that as someone who spent thousands on tools to do a bad job of work that would have cost me hundreds to have done...

Another option would be to buy flat stock of your intended thickness and then cut it into circles on a vertical bandsaw.

Reply to
cs_posting

Sleeply, or I had a stroke. Shrug

When you coming this way again? Ive got Stuff for you.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 05:47:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Heh heh heh.

Oh, NO! It's a long enough drive to my family's places in the Bay Area. Coming all the way down to Taft is a real push. Whatcha got? I still haven't built the spare shop to house all the stuff I got from you _last_ time. ;) Speaking of which, I think that composite stock is actually heavier than the old wooden stock for the SKS.

Why don't you sucker^H^H^H^H^H^Hpersuade Grant into coming down. Then I could put him up on each leg of the trip in return for haulage. Yeah, that's the ticket! (Grant or someone else north of me on I-5.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ok,

Before I get one of these saws:

?Itemnumber=47840 Does anyone think it is plausible that I can accomplish my project with a miter box and thin hand saw?(I assume that I would get as many "plates" from my Delrin cylinder as I would from using a bandsaw).

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

bastids a few decades ago.

it's all in how much you're willing to get by with. A

Reply to
Searcher7

Please trim out irrelevant stuff, and please don't top post.

Is your goal to end up with about 50 delrin disks, 4" diameter, 1/8" to

1/4" thick? If so I think you should start with delrin sheet rather cylinder. Via trepanning or die cutting you can end up with finished edges that don't need further cleanup, unlike a sawed edge that you then need to smooth on lathe or mill.

Regarding cutting up the cylinder, with a really good backsaw I imagine you would get a slightly better finish than with a bandsaw, but accuracy would be hard to maintain. With the 93762 bandsaw, you should be able to get better than .01" flatness and repeatability. With a saw like that, I can cut slices from .5" aluminum rod to better than .005" quickly and repeatably. I don't know how it would work out for 4" diameter delrin; the surface I got cutting polyethylene was sort of rough. If you have a bit of delrin cylinder you could send me, I'd be glad to slice some pieces off as a test, then send it all back to you.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

I was just attempting to determine the best tools for, A) Getting the most "plates" out of each cylinder, and B) if a manual saw(with Miter box) can do the job almost as good as anything I'd have to plug in.

The finish of each plate is of no consequence whatsoever. They will have several holes milled in them. The size, shape and distance between these holes is where accuracy is important.

I can send you one of the cylinders if you want to experiment to find the best tools for the job.(I had just assumed that the least amount of wastse produced during the cut would give me the most disks).

LMK.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

If you have access to a lathe, you might try using the stiff back saw from the manual miter box to part off the disks as the lathe spins. Don't hold it steady, saw gently back and forth to help dissipate the heat. Don't stand in the path of the thrown saw in case it catches in the work. Perhaps standing on the back side of the lathe is best (reverse the saw).

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Think Woodworking - Thin 12" carbide 16 tooth blade and a radil arm saw. Clamp the work on a sled, set a stop and balogna slice to your hearts content....

Jim

Searcher7 wrote:

bastids a few decades ago.

it's all in how much you're willing to get by with. A

Reply to
James E. Baldock (Jim)

If you already have the cylinders at a good price, then cutting them up probably is the sensible thing; but if you are buying new, sheet might have less waste and take less work, besides the surface issue I mentioned [which you've said doesn't matter]. About 20% of sheet would be scrap (odd-shaped little bits between parts) after diecutting, while 25-30% of the cylinder will turn into sawdust for .125"-thick parts cut with .040-.050" kerf, or about 15% for .250" thick.

I've sent email with address, etc.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby