Darned VFD blew up today!

Martin Eastburn fired this volley in news:SS0cz.23942$ snipped-for-privacy@fx12.iad:

All those things were checked, or known as dangers. The motor's not shorted, not binding, and was not cutting _anything_ when the VFD failed; wasn't even running.

The VFD was OFF prior to the failure. This failure occurred on power-up of the system. The spindle motor was never commanded ON before the internal fault code of the VFD was thrown. No smoke came out, either.

Oh... to the other respondent who suggested testing the VFD's filter caps "at voltage", instead of a meter voltages -- yeah... did yesterday, just to confirm. A) none of them look 'leaky' with a good DVM, and they all were charged on power-up, so the rectifiers are working, too.

I've already got almost 1-1/2 hours trouble-shooting into this. If I waste any more time on it (except perhaps 'hobby time' down the road), I'm busting my own billing rate. It doesn't make sense. Seven hours of f'in with it would cost me more in lost billing than a brand new VFD costs!

New one gets here day-after-tomorrow.

Please...

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Good deal, but not adequate -- 5HP spindle!

(and I run it to the limit now and then...)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'd be interested, because I'm going to re-fit this stupid machine. It wouldn't work with the current control - being tied to some proprietary Delta features - but would be fine (if it's big enough) for the Mach-3 installation I am planning to do.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh