Dayton 4Z140 - Gloat

Grainger price (not logged in) shows as $242.50. Ebay shows them for $75 to $180.

I got 4 of them along with 3 12 volt cart motors and a 24 volt gear motor (RPM unknown, but I may have an immediate use for) the other day for $40 total. The guy said he just wanted to get rid of them and start with motors built for the purpose for his application. (Building a CNC plasma table) I can see one reason right off the bat he might not have wanted to use them. They are single shaft. He would have had to mount his encoder somewhere other than on the convenient back shaft like one might on a purpose built servo motor.

My thought was just that I got $500 + worth of motors for $40. I also considered using them myself if I convert the RF-30 to CNC. The problem is of course chasing down or building a 90VDC power supply that doesn't cost so much as to invalidate the savings on the motors.

I unwound the transformer on the Hurco and I am running it at 78 volts to stay within spec on my servo controllers. I suspect these would run fin on

78-80 volts if I wanted to use one for a second spindle lift or 4th axis table or even as a knee lift. I might have to add some more capacitance though. Anyway. I do have a power supply to test them on.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Well... I already found another power supply I can use when I am ready to use those 90V motors. Still looking for the right 24V power supply though.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The encoder can be dealt with in other ways, such as a linear encoder on the table to feed back its position to the controller.

However, what I consider more of a limitation is that it does not have a built-in tach generator for speed control.

Granted, if you are using something like the Gecko servo drive, which does not use the tach feedback at all, and simply makes the motor behave like a stepper, then you don't care -- but if you want precise and smooth speed control, you want the tach feedback.

A way around that could be a small permanent magnet field motor mounted on an idler pulley which could generate the speed information for the servo amp.

Still -- the price (from snipped info from below) certainly sounds attractive. If you can find the small permanent magnet motors to use as tach feedback, you will be fine. (The encoder could be on a similar setup if you don't want the precision of linear encoders.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

How much current do you need? I got a really nice one from Mouser (or was it DigiKey) for up to about 1A. It was a DIN rail mounting one -- quite small, and can run from either 120 VAC or 240 VAC as you need.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Can you drill and tap the motor shaft on the back side. presto! back side shaft. i did this on my fourth axis servo

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend