Decimal to Drill Size Conversion - now with RPM calculation

Hi all -
Thanks to more feedback from a couple of newsgroup regulars we updated the decimal to fraction converter yet again to make the display a bit
more intuitive and useful in the shop.
In addition to showing the next larger fractional, letter/number and metric size drill bits corresponding to a decimal value input, plus the next two larger and smaller drills - and the clearance, it now also displays target RPM for a particular drill size,
It defaults to 60 SFPM (a good start for mild steel) and you can tweak the value depending on the material being cut or drilled.
The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from <http://www.carlafongphotography.com/utilities/ Shareware, so if it is helpful to you, send us a couple of bucks.
Eventually I should upload it to the dropbox, but as long as I'm updating occasionally it seems best to keep it on my site.
Still Windows only... additional comments appreciated.
Help yourselves!
Carla
If you were a normal human sitting at home having a beer and watching national politics peripherally, as normal people do until they focus on an election, chances are pretty good you came to see the two major parties not as the Dems versus the Reps, or the blue versus the red, but as the Nuts versus the Creeps. The Nuts were for high spending and taxing and the expansion of government no matter what. The Creeps were hypocrites who talked one thing and did another, who went along on the spending spree while lecturing on fiscal solvency. ~ Peggy Noonan
Carla, Thank you for your effort, but I just cannot understand the requirement, as every drill index box I have seen has the decimal size stamped into the box for every drill. In addition, there are a multitude of available wall charts that display conversions and tap sizes. Furthermore the "Machinery Handbook" which every machinist should own, has all the info you could ever want. Steve

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:38:40 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"

I keep an old laptop out in the shop with various utilities such as this on it. Ill be using this one, particularly on the milling machine, and see how it goes.
Only problem I can see..is its only good for drills under .975ish as I remember.
Works good. Good RPM and SFM outputs
Gunner
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 03:03:34 -0800, Gunner Asch

Slide the decimal point around as needed.
3.0 inch @ 100 ft/min <=> .30 inch @ 10.0 ft/min
--
Ned Simmons

AH! Thanks!
Gunner
Steve Lusardi wrote:

Steve, I can't argue with that, and I have that same set of resources available.
What this program does is let you measure a part with your caliper or micrometer, enter that value and immediately get the nearest larger and smaller fractional, metric and letter/number drill information. You also get the clearance or interference value for each drill size indicated.
It's actually faster than looking at the wall chart, and errors of interpolation between printed values on the chart are a thing of the past. It's definitely faster than thumbing through the Machinery Handbook to find the appropriate chart, then reading the mouse type.
It's just a handy utility, not the next 'killer application' :)
Carla
"In explaining any puzzling government phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit." Charles Krauthammer
Carla Fong wrote:

Cool!
You can overwrite the RPM and get a SFM number, as well.
--Winston
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:47:30 -0800, Carla Fong

Only big problem I can find with it..is that it only goes up to .975ish in drill size.
Would be better up to about 3"
Gunner