Decimal to Drill Size Conversion - now with RPM calculation

Hi all -

Thanks to more feedback from a couple of newsgroup regulars we updated the decimal to fraction converter yet again to make the display a bit more intuitive and useful in the shop.

In addition to showing the next larger fractional, letter/number and metric size drill bits corresponding to a decimal value input, plus the next two larger and smaller drills - and the clearance, it now also displays target RPM for a particular drill size,

It defaults to 60 SFPM (a good start for mild steel) and you can tweak the value depending on the material being cut or drilled.

The executable is compressed in "Fractions.zip" and downloadable from Shareware, so if it is helpful to you, send us a couple of bucks.

Eventually I should upload it to the dropbox, but as long as I'm updating occasionally it seems best to keep it on my site.

Still Windows only... additional comments appreciated.

Help yourselves!

Carla

If you were a normal human sitting at home having a beer and watching national politics peripherally, as normal people do until they focus on an election, chances are pretty good you came to see the two major parties not as the Dems versus the Reps, or the blue versus the red, but as the Nuts versus the Creeps. The Nuts were for high spending and taxing and the expansion of government no matter what. The Creeps were hypocrites who talked one thing and did another, who went along on the spending spree while lecturing on fiscal solvency. ~ Peggy Noonan

Reply to
Carla Fong

Carla, Thank you for your effort, but I just cannot understand the requirement, as every drill index box I have seen has the decimal size stamped into the box for every drill. In addition, there are a multitude of available wall charts that display conversions and tap sizes. Furthermore the "Machinery Handbook" which every machinist should own, has all the info you could ever want. Steve

decimal to fraction converter yet again to make the

size drill bits corresponding to a decimal value

also displays target RPM for a particular drill

value depending on the material being cut or drilled.

occasionally it seems best to keep it on my site.

politics peripherally, as normal people do until

major parties not as the Dems versus the Reps, or the

spending and taxing and the expansion of

did another, who went along on the spending spree

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Cool!

You can overwrite the RPM and get a SFM number, as well.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Only big problem I can find with it..is that it only goes up to .975ish in drill size.

Would be better up to about 3"

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

every drill index box I have seen has the decimal size

available wall charts that display conversions and tap

has all the info you could ever want.

I keep an old laptop out in the shop with various utilities such as this on it. Ill be using this one, particularly on the milling machine, and see how it goes.

Only problem I can see..is its only good for drills under .975ish as I remember.

Works good. Good RPM and SFM outputs

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do something damned nasty to all three of them.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Steve, I can't argue with that, and I have that same set of resources available.

What this program does is let you measure a part with your caliper or micrometer, enter that value and immediately get the nearest larger and smaller fractional, metric and letter/number drill information. You also get the clearance or interference value for each drill size indicated.

It's actually faster than looking at the wall chart, and errors of interpolation between printed values on the chart are a thing of the past. It's definitely faster than thumbing through the Machinery Handbook to find the appropriate chart, then reading the mouse type.

It's just a handy utility, not the next 'killer application' :)

Carla

"In explaining any puzzling government phenomenon, always choose stupidity over conspiracy, incompetence over cunning. Anything else gives them too much credit." Charles Krauthammer

Reply to
Carla Fong

Slide the decimal point around as needed.

3.0 inch @ 100 ft/min .30 inch @ 10.0 ft/min
Reply to
Ned Simmons

AH! Thanks!