Depth Gage with hook

Folks, I would lie to be able to measure workpiece length while the part is still chucked up. I see that Starrett has such a beast, but is a bit rich. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

For a hollow tube a hook scale would work. If your eyes are good you should be able to measure within a 64th or better with no problem.

How close do you want to measure it?

John

Reply to
john

As close as sanity provides. Within a thou.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

If you want cheap make up a hook scale without numbers and then depth mike off the opposite end of it. Measure the length of the hook scale and do the math. Or if you can put a straight edge across the back end just use a depth mike.

John

Reply to
John

If I can assume you know the length before you start turning it it should be simple. You need to know what you removed. The micrometer stop is good for that. dychem your workpiece so you can see when you first start cutting. Use the stop for the rest.

I'm thinking the other way, know what you have and measure what you take off.

Wes

Wes

Also turning your compound parallel, carriage locked, feed to take off the dykem and then use your dial or dro.

Wes

Wes

.
.

I have used a depth mic rod with a disk like flanged end [.025 wide ] that does that for over 40 years. With it you can measure location and width of o'ring grooves deep down bores and the like. You have to zero it every time and use a double nut to lock rod in place. For longer then 1 inch you have to use a jo block to set. And subtract the ,025 going one direction.

Jim

PS One rod works in a standard depth mic for up to 6 inches.

Reply to
jimatcf