Derusting muzzle loader bore

My very first powder burner was a .36 Navy CVA kit. I let it get away years ago, but recently decided I wanted one again. I found Dixie Gunworks sold a Pietta kit. Its rumored on Internet forums that Pietta likely made my original CVA kit so I bought one.

Timed to start at the big reveal.

So... do you have a source for a .36 barrel liner? I've looked at Redman liners before with a thought to use some of them for higher power airgun builds. I don't recall a .36 liner. Not that there isn't one. Its just something I'ld like to know about.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

My first was also a CVA , a .50 plains rifle . It's standing in a corner . It now wears a 2-7 variable extended eye relief scope intended for a Mosin-Nagant ... my eyes ain't what they useta be . I followed up the rifle with an 1860 Navy .36 revolver kit (Navy version of the 1858 Remington I think) , mostly just sanding and polishing the frame , wood , and brass parts . Dad liked mine so much he bought and built a .45 Kentucky Rifle and an 1858 Remington .44 revolver . I got the revolver , one of my brothers got the Kentucky Rifle .

Reply to
Snag

I'm playing the idea right now (just in the mental images stage at the moment) with the idea making a 209 primer cylinder and firing pin hammer. It will still be functionally a cap and ball, but it should have better ignition, lower chance of cap jams, and better weather resistance. I haven't decided to "do it" just yet. Lots of other projects going. It would require off gun loading unless I invent some other stuff too, but if I make one cylinder I could make a couple.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Is a 209 significantly longer than a nipple and cap ? Well , I guess it wouldn't matter , since you'll be making contact with a point (more or less) rather than a flat surface - can you source or fabricate a new hammer so you don't destroy the original ? Does it matter to you to be able to restore it to original ? I think you'd want to make a new drum and the "nipple" can be just a short cylinder ... would you want the flash hole a tiny bit larger due to the increased gas output from the

209 ? <<My neighbor is a fast-draw competitor , they use 209's as the propellant for a wax bullet>>

Dammit , all I need is more potential projects whirling around in my head ! Today I ordered the rest of the parts I know I need to tear down my 1990 FLH trans and replace a whining main drive gear/countershaft 5th pair and the primary chain and both sprockets . Plus next week I'll be bringing my truck home (son in Memphis , Grrr.) with the potential of rebuilding the motor because it got ran out of oil - not his fault , broken oil pressure switch for the ID10T light . I'll bore scope the cylinders when I get it home and decide then which way to go . I might be lucky and it didn't damage the cylinder walls - but I doubt that , he thought it had seized so ... If I gotta tear it down it ain't goin' back together stock !

Reply to
Snag

You should film all this shit and put it up on utube.

Reply to
Nic

I think it would be no big deal to duplicate the hammer with a hammer held firing pin much like many early cartridge revolvers like the .32 S&W and the H&R 922 .22 among many others. I think ideally the firing pin should depress the primer just enough as the area around it lays flat across the primer. Should help reduce primer bulge or primer pop as well. With a setup like that I'd start with a light load and work up until either I got primer bulge or I got similar velocities to regular #10/11 cap guns.

Good luck. I've gotten to hate working on vehicles. Only reason I do it is because I hate paying somebody to do it wrong or not do what I asked even more. To many times in my youth I was up late fixing my vehicle so I could make it to work the next morning. Usually very early. One time I got home early with a need for sleep when smoke poured out from under the dash because the entire wiring harness suddenly melted down. I was up until 3am chasing wires so I could be to work by 6:30. It wasn't the first time I had set that car on fire either. The first time there was less smoke, but more fire when a hydraulic clutch line burst spraying fluid all over a red hot header pipe. I hate working on vehicles. When I can I get my son to do it. He's not the world's best mechanic, but with him I can work in the shop and walk out every once in a while to double check his work. He also follows directions fairly well, and he isn't afraid to tell me when I am just plane wrong.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I think I'll pass ... I've got nothing to prove to anyone , and these days I prefer to keep as low a profile as I can .

Reply to
Snag

I understand, it is our loss.

Reply to
Nic

I don't hate it ... I just don't enjoy it as much as I did 40 years ago . I will not let anyone else work on my bikes in particular . Nobody cares as much about Snag's ass as Snag ... The cars , well , it's as you say much cheaper to do it yourself . My son can wrench some , but unfortunately his work doesn't quite meet my standards . I don't take shortcuts . The one exception to do it myself is automatic transmissions . I know there's nothing mysterious about them , but I just don't have the specialized tools needed and have no desire to buy or make them . I gotta say , I'm kinda looking forward to building this motor . The GM 305 has a lot of potential , I'm thinking a low RPM torque cam , say around .460" lift and around 270° duration with around 9.25 CR , a mid rise manifold (Edelbrock Torker ?) and some small tube headers . It's got a 700R4 trans , and I'll be installing that set of 3.42's that are sitting next to my desk in the axle . It's not going to be a screamer , just a decent truck with snappy acceleration .

Reply to
Snag

My only brush with an AT was the Torqueflite out of a '60 Plymouth. I had big balls and no special tools. Taking out internal snap rings with a couple of ice picks was interesting.

Ultimately the car wound up with a manual, which involved fabricating a hydraulic clutch. After a roadside inspection courtesy of the NY State Police I replaced the rear axle. The AT parking brake was a drum on the tail of the tranny and I needed a working parking brake to make Occifer Friendly happy. More fabrication.

When I went into the service I pulled the engine, drove over to a friend's house, and left it hanging from the garage rafters, He wasn't home and his mother was a little bemused but she was sort of used to strange shit when I was around.

I work on the bikes and the semi-retired F150 but the Toyota doesn't ask for much except an oil change every 5000. Can't say I miss the drama.

The next project will be the DR650 which marks its spot. I think it is the chain tensioner gasket which isn't too bad. The earlier versions tended to have base gasket problems but mine has the steel gasket that was supposed to be the fix. Oil being what it is means a tablespoon full covers everything and looks like the end of the world making the source difficult to find. I've got to remember to pick up some baby powder. I tried some chalk I had in the shop but it didn't work all that well.

Reply to
rbowman

Today most frequent YouTube posters seemed to be focused on views, likes, and monetization. When I first discovered YouTube there seemed to be a fair amount of just paying it forward and helping people out. There is still a certain amount of that, but often they get drowned out by the noise. Some started out as just paying it forward and helping and they still produce helpful content, but not to the same level because they are trying to crank out a video every so often. Sadly YouTube has become like Google. The search results are driven by ad revenue instead of accuracy so there is a lot of great content that's hard to find now.

I don't know what I was saying there exactly. Just that it certainly would not be a bad thing if somebody like yourself posted real projects on a personal basis rather than flashy commercially drive drivel.

The main reason I don't post more videos myself is that it takes time to produce a quality video. Often a project I could do in a few hours takes all day if I take time to plan all the processes to get good shots for video. I'm not a professional YouTuber. I need to get the job done and move on to the next one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I wonder if I may interrupt all this mainsplaining macho talk to ask you your opinion on this article. Not so much your opinion about the journalist who wrote it, but how accurately it describes Montana where you live.

Bruce Jender

------------------------

The reason great science fiction books don't translate well to film is the extreme difficulty of exposition, explaining the details. The film "Hugo", Martin Scorsese's homage to pioneer special-effects film maker Georges Melies, is a good example of exposition via dialog over flashbacks.

automaton that draws the plot-advancing picture was actually an X-Y plotter that moved the pen hand by a magnet under the table.

I've fallen into the engineers' habit of explaining with words plus quick sketches or annotated photos and often wished we could include them here, but explaining with only text is good practice.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I wonder if I may interrupt all this mainsplaining macho talk to ask you your opinion on this article. Not so much your opinion about the journalist who wrote it, but how accurately it describes Montana where you live.

--------------------- Mansplaining is a derogatory code word for useful knowledge co-dependent liberal urbanites et al. lack, envy, can't steal and despair of acquiring on their own.

I first saw that envy when working in film and theatre, where the techs are electrical and mechanical wizards and much of the acting talent can barely tie shoe laces and have to beg for help fixing anything. Teaching them basic theatre carpentry was an utter waste of my time. It also shows between the vital technical and easily replaced office staffs in corporations, and in groups such as Mensa where technical and liberal arts professionals socialize together.

If we are bitter it's because those who can't keep up are trying to seize power and punish us for embarrassing them with our hard-won personal achievements. "Progressive" really means "Repressive" since they can't create value, only confiscate and redistribute it. Once more the barbarians are eager to plunder Rome.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Be quiet boy the men are talking . If you shut your mouth and open your ears you might learn something ...

Reply to
Snag

some of the people who were doing youtube guitar and banjo videos went to Patreon. One banjo person, Clifton Hicks did that and I didn't mind paying a few bucks. 2020 sucked for a lot of people but the musicians were hit hard. What had been sort of a hobby became a way to keep beans in the pot as gigs and private instruction dried up.

Reply to
rbowman

If I want horseshit there's a whole bunch in the pasture out back.

Reply to
rbowman

He probably supports colorful diversity like this:

What really sucks about assholes like that is they cast a shadow on the people who came here and are leading productive lives.

For historical reasons we have a lot of Hmong that came here when the US pulled out of Vietnam. I don't recall there ever being problems after the learned that elk are not really big deer and you need a separate tag.

I'm sure there are a lot of hard working Afghans that just want a new life but they aren't off to a very good start in this state.

Reply to
rbowman

So?? What is your point? I see diversity in all of this. Montanans like the rest of the upper states carry firearms as a matter of course. So if they show up to rallies armed...Its kind of like showing up wearing your everyday pants. As for the Gays...They are busily shoving their agenda down every-bodies throats. Is it wrong to demand that transgenders not take advantage of better strength to reign supreme in Women's sports? Could it be that you are jealous of the great clean living in these parts of America? I do note the news groups you post from. I thought we had kicked your useless ass and moronic comments back to the RCM group?

Reply to
PaxPerPoten

...I thought we had kicked your useless ass and moronic comments back to the RCM group?

------------ Where the whining bitter losers are even less welcome.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins