determining the load on a corner "post"

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018

07:32:04 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"... clanks (impossibly advanced steampunk robots), dirigibles and

creations which range from Frankenstein-style creatures to talking cats and mouse-sized mammoths."

Changing approaches, decided I can't just roll any of this over the Missus's Daisys, so I want to use a couple Rocs. Maybe some griffins. Now I all need to know what the tension on the straps to the harness will be.

And where I can lay my hands on a couple environmentally friendly and sustainably sourced elephant carcases, but that's getting off track.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018

08:00:02 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

But where's the fun in that?

Besides, this is rec.crafts.metalworking, not rec.crafts.discombobulators __o-o-o-r_ rec.crafts.transmorgifyers. (I'm partial to Transmorgifyers, myself.)

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques on Mon, 03 Sep 2018

22:08:43 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I can draw the parts I doodled most of this out in meetings ("I-beam, end goes into socket in Lifting Unit, bolts both together. Lifting Unit raises I-beam up by [bottle jack | screw jack | cam | "other"] powered by [electric | steam | pneumatics | Hydraulics | magic]. Ground contact can be via large wheels, fat wheels, caterpillar tread, "feet". Each has advantages /drawbacks. Each beam has one Lifting Unit at each end, so: Four beams, and four Lifting Units (pat pending).

get concrete railroad ties 10 feet long?) Unbolt I-beams, lather rinse repeat with the next larger outbuilding. Store I-beams and Lifting Units for "later".

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018

07:42:19 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Do I call up building moving companies when I want to know how strong a post needs to be, to hold the corner of a footlocker up? Do their tables include a Barbie Dream house?

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

You might think about using blocks of ICE for the ground contact. It would reduce the force needed to move the buildings and would melt to lower it i n place.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

My Lifting Units are tripods of pipe or tubing that support chain hoists. The legs are joined at the top by a simple yet clever flexible arrangement of bolts and chains I devised 20 years ago that leaves the legs free to move around and divides the load between both sides of each leg, I think, in a manner that lets K=1 in the column equation. Likewise the pipes rest on actual balls or their near equivalents to keep the axis of thrust centered within the tube.

If I could prove the design's weight bearing capacity I'd reveal it, but I can't so you hereby know that a very simple folding pipe tripod is possible. All parts are common consumer hardware though they aren't necessarily used as intended. The load rating can be determined with on-line column calculators. I proof test them with a load cell when pulling stumps, which won't drop if anything fails. So far only one

5000 lb load cell has failed, and two legs and bottom ends were retired for their battered conditions.

They move loads horizontally by walking the legs forward while the load is lowered, then raising it enough to slide. It's slow but requires only relatively level ground solid enough to support the leg baseplates.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What? All you have is a napkin at this point? Sheesh...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oh, THOSE clanks. Got it.

Loved the films Hugo, The Golden Compass, Van Helsing, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and Sherlock Holmes for their Steampunk.

I strongly recommend dragons over those silly animals. another plus is that you can have them clear/sterilize the setdown area in seconds. Well, if you properly shield things nearby. Got scales?

What on Earth for?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I built my first shed for moving, 8' x 20', on skids of 3 2x8's nailed together with 20p nails, crossmembers the same, cross braced with 3/8" cable to eye bolts through the corners.

When it came time to move it, I disconnected the power, then tugged on one end while pivoting it around the huge sycamore it was behind, then winched it onto Dad's truck with the lift bed and winch. Drove about

15 miles, then dropped it at my new house. Jacked, leveled on blocks, and ran the new electric. There was no sheetrock, so no sign of damage at all.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I would enjoy seeing your lifting tripods. I made something similar, but the top was three sockets made of pipe welded to a plate. Worked well enoug to lift a small horizontal mill off a trailer.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018

22:24:52 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Feeding the Rocs, of course.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Jim Wilkins" on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 23:09:41 -0400 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

oooh - Tripods! Martian Walkers!

Yes, of course, Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so brain, but were are we going to get a team of trained Hippos in tutus?

tschus pyotr

no, really, a good idea, too.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Pete Keillor on Wed, 05 Sep 2018 07:31:54

The Shop is in a store bought shed, the Shed is rebuilt. I'm not so sure about stability of them in a lifting scenario. the Shop is probably good, the shed I have less confident in (I built it, and know the corners I took.)

I've a friend who says "Oh, just let me know, I can bring the tractor ...". Not sure that's a good idea, or that we can get it into the space available. OTOH, there are come-alongs and cable/chain. Set a couple three anchors and "Bob's yer uncle" or I'll have new beds plowed for gardening.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Larry Jaques on Tue, 04 Sep 2018

22:15:55 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Actually, some very nice drawings ... but yeah.

-- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although far too often, Age travels alone."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

They aren't too different from the original that a neighbor used to pull engines. There was chain wound around the top and rather haphazardly attached to through bolts. IIRC he tossed another chain over it to hang the chain hoist. I liked that it folded parallel to carry and the legs could be repositioned independently if they sank in.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Sorry, no tutus. This is the hippo that watches over my doings:

His partner atop the microwave is a Russian matryoshka (nesting doll) of Soviet leaders.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Or, by moving one leg at a time, you could "walk" a load across the yard so long as you kept the load from swinging.

Reply to
Gerry

Only with loads light enough to move other faster ways. If the hoist chain, which is on the axis of the load's center of gravity, swings out beyond a line between the legs the tripod will tip, and lifting a leg out of the hole it digs swings a hanging load. A 2 ton chain fall without any load is nearly enough uncontrolled weight to tip the tripod while walking it.

Generally I lower the load and loosen the chain, then walk the legs almost to the tipping point. When I ratchet up the load it slides forward into the center. If it's light enough I push it further with one foot while lowering, but a half ton log or boulder won't kick very far. Progress is less than 2' per lift, sometimes much less.

After tediously moving that boulder about 30 feet with a tripod I rebuilt my 1 ton shop crane into a trailer with a hitch so I could back the load into place with my tractor.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins