Different RPM Loads on Rotary Phase Converters

Here's the situation. I have a lathe which currently uses a single phase motor with a 145T frame. I want to replace it with a 3 phase unit with the same frame type, but the only motors I can find with that frame and in the less-than-2-horse-power range run at

1140 RPM. I have a (1725 RPM) rotary phase converter which powers another 3 phase motor in my miller. The miller's motor is a dual speed motor (I don't know the RPM of the two speeds, but "fast" is double the speed of "slow". This is the stock motor in a Hardinge TM/UM miller).

I know that adding idling motors into the circuit of a rotary phase converter will effectively increase the capacity of the converter, so the various motors do have an effect on the 3 phase generation system. My question is, will all of these different RPM motors adversely effect the operation of the rotary converter or the quality of the

3 phase power it generates? I doubt I'll ever have both machines running at the same time, but who knows.
Reply to
Artemia Salina

I run a Hardinge Miller among my other 3 phase machines with no ill effects.

Make chips, have fun.

GJR

Reply to
GJRepesh

Me thinks that you worry to much. The power in your system is ~220v 60 cycle. The speed of the motor, or converter is determined by the construction of the motor, i.e. the number of poles in the motor. You need to worry about the power, not the speed. As long as the motor is turning at ~rated speed it will generate 60 cycles regardless. I also run a two speed motor on my mill with no problems from the converter. lg no neat sig line.

Reply to
larry g

No. The motors get their different speeds by having a different number of active poles internally. Externally they are all 60 Hz, so the idler won't know or care how they're built internally.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

The more motors you have running, the better the whole works will run. More motors act like an ever bigger idler motor. Stop wringing your hands and start making chips. Things to watch: Do the breakers trip? Do the motors get hot? Is the wiring adequate?

Motors usually don't get too damaged without first getting hot.

Have fun.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Logghe