Dipping into the knowledge Base

Yesterday, I met with a company that is prolly going to build a machine for one of my clients. In my discussion with them, they told me how they envisioned running the machine with a PLM,yadda,yadda yadda.....

We these guys seem very capable and I saw some of the machinery that they are building for another client, so I have a great deal of respect for their abilities.

After I left their shop, I realized how little I know about machine control and I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction for a primer on PLM controls, programming,etc.....

I don't want to program the machine, I just want to be able to understand how they will build the control system and if we have a problem with the system, be able to describe the problems to them accurately.....

Thanks Greg Postma

Reply to
Greg Postma

I think you're talking about PLC's.

If you can get the contract to say that they'll deliver the source code (ladder logic or whatever they use to program their PLC's) and design documents (requirements, design, etc.), you'll be doing better than without. They may not allow you access to these documents (out of fear that you'll sell them to others).

It also depends on the complexity of the device. Some will be specified and designed with a single printed page, others will require hundreds of pages.

If your client already has PLC-controlled stuff and techs familiar with the technology, it makes sense to ask that the same technology be used in the new design.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Demand the code, it's paid for. The coding company might not be around wwhen something fails.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Have a poke around on this site. They have a control tutorial somewhere.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller