Dismantling a double hull stainless tank

I have this tank, which I craned today:

(craning was done before wine consumption)

It is carbon steel on the outside, stainless inside, cork insulation in the middle.

I need to separate stainless and carbon steel for scrap.

My question is how is the inside typically attached to the outside.

My best hope right now is that the inner hull was simply inserted into the outer hull with very little welds between them. So, I hope, I can just make a circular cut on one side where the mouth is, and pull out the inner body from the outer.

Makes sense?

Ignoramus19568

Cork is very compressible, so I would expect some type of supporting structure on the bottom of the inside. I would guess it is welded feet on the bottom of the inner tank.

Should still be a slip fit if you can cut and end completely off

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Might be a spider or arms and not attached to either. Might be disks or any form depending on the weight of the center tank... I'd take an end off and see what you find.

Mart> >> I have this tank, which I craned today:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I _really_ want to see the video of that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wouldn't a bit of det cord do the trick? HE-tech wine bottle neck removal simulation. Pop the end and drag out the inner tank.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My brother used to be a scrapper. He told me that the stainless steel milk tanks made by the "ZERO Corporation" were clearly labeled with their net scrap value.... Very similar construction. SS liner, and insulation, with out shell.

Reply to
Cross-Slide

Wish it were available to play with and learn about. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you're talking about linear shaped charges , they are fun . Basically a tube full of explosive with one side dented in to form a vee shape , and they work better if you stand them off the surface to be cut a little . It's been over 30 years since I worked at Thiokol , but a lot of that kind of thing just sticks with you - like the time we "disassembled" a shed with an

8 lb block of C4 Poseidon propellant . There were a few pieces bigger than a toothpick ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yes and no. Yes, they'd be fun, too, but I was talking about shearing an end off a tank to pull out the inner tank. Y'know, can opener?

Sounds like you were a blast to be around, Terry.

P.S: Were you a _real_ rocket scientist? ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey guys have look a look this awesome Corkscrew Set with classic wooden handled ergonomic designed corkscrew which is best gift under $25 exclusively available at Amazon with 30% off, Visit this Link:

Here are some features of Corkscrew Set

1.Stopper with rubber rings, seals and looks good & and is heavier than others. 2.Quality stainless steel will last without rusting, bending, or scratching. 3.Red wine aerator (red wine manufacturing process is not the same as it used to be--they make the process shorter; so red wine is not as bountiful as it used to be--today's red wine needs to be aerated- aerator gives you the best quality wine possible). 4.Single hinged for fast, easy uncorking. 5.Reusable good looking box. 6.Drp ring collects wine that drips down the neck of the bottle. 7.Real wood on corkscrew for easy grip. 8.Long straight worm. 9.Serrated blade--vs ones that are not serrated (will not stay sharp and are cheap). 10.Ergonomic designed corkscrew with wood as part of construction.

Its a limited time 30% discount on Amazon so don't miss out!

Reply to
ronak26oct