How to disassemble a broken Baldwin thumblatch handset?

The thumblatch Baldwin lock on my front door has broken. Some lever inside has given way, so the thumbpiece does not pull the latch in when you depress it. Nor does it fully spring back up to horizontal when you take your thumb off it. See

The only way into the lockset is via the knob on the right side. So, remove the allen bolt on the shank of the door knob and slide the door knob off the square shaft. You are left with this:
The whole brass circular assembly (backplate to the knob) probably unscrews. But not until that "rose" in the center - the thing that looks like the London Underground sign - a circle with a bar through it - is removed.

I have never seen a fastening quite like this one before. Each end of the horizontal bar has a small notch or cutout. In each notch is a piece of metal going back into the door. Those pieces are springy if you press them towards the center of the circle with a screwdriver.

Making another guess, I think you press these in towards the center of the circle, probably freeing a lip on their edge from pressing on the brass. Then you can extract the "London Underground" sign, and then you can unscrew the brass backplate, and *then* you get access to the screws that hold the front in place.

But I am piling guess on guess here. Do you need a special tool to take out that LU sign? How do you proceed further with the disassembly? Does anyone know this?

I am disappointed that this costly Baldwin lock broke after light use for only 4 or 5 years. Even worse, the Baldwin website seems totally dedicated to selling you more fittings, and not a word or manual on servicing the broken ones you have. Most other manufacturers put their service manuals online.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stan Accrington

Baldwin and almost all "Pitcher Handle" type locks WILL fail. They're not upm to the type of abuse they get. ie: banging down thumb lever w/a package or the kids banging it with their fist.

Baldwin does guarentee them, if you remove it from the door & either send it back or take it to the box store you bought it from.

First thing though, I'd make sure the latch assembly was working properly. Remove the outer & inner trim and attempt to cycle the latch w/a tool or screw driver.

If working, something inside gave out.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

<snip>
Reply to
Me

Newnsie - I appreciate the suggestions.

My immediate problem is that (to avoid a house call charge) I want to take the lock in to a locksmith.

However, I cannot fathom how to disassemble it. I posted the URL to photo of my lock, showing the fitting that has defeated me.

Any ideas on how to get past that?

Thanks,

Stan

Reply to
Stan Accrington

break down and help a locksmith make a living. incur that service chrge and w/ luick u will get someone who knows your lockset too.

ed

Stan Accr> Newnsie - I appreciate the suggestions.

Reply to
ed

My guess is that the inside rose plate is two pieces. The outer brass is threaded to the inner plate and that is held to the outside handle with a couple of screws.

First try gripping the large brass rose and unscrewing it. So long as no one painted it to the door or cross threaded it when they installed it you should be able to unscrew it without too much difficulty.

In my experience about the only thing that kills a Baldwin is improper installation or severe abuse.

I hope this helps.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf