How to center a chuck ?

I got this chuck that i want to use on my logan 12" lathe. While fitting the chuck to the backplate i noticed the chuck does not have a recess on the back side for centering.

Any ideas on how to center this chuck so it runs true to my spindle?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

joelblatt

  1. April Fools???

  1. The photo suggests you have it, so why not get some use from it? I would disassemble it and turn the body round for balance, then bolt it to a faceplate. Sometimes a chuck that can go from lathe to mill and back to lathe is useful.

That chuck is no wierder than some of the other custom lathe setups people have published. It might be good for turning a small crankshaft, less fussy and more secure than a vee block and angle plate.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 00:05:57 -0700, the infamous "azotic" scrawled the following:

BFH, Tom. B F H, then weld in place, grounding on the bed.

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That would be scary spinning at 1500 rpm. It will likely be out of balance, round is so much safer than that thing spinning away. Just wait until you manage to get hit by a spinning edge.

Is this an April fools day joke?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Once he gets it mounted, he can round it off :)

Reply to
RBnDFW

I think it looks like a rest rather than a chuck. The two holes at the top of the picture would attach to a bracket on the carriage or bed.

Reply to
James Waldby

Phew! I thought I was the only one...

Reply to
Michael Koblic

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:03:27 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

I think so, since that was a steady rest in his pic. ;)

P.S: I hope nobody grounds through the bed and welds a chuck on, through the gears and bearings.

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nope not a steady rest. Its a real machining chuck, picked it up at a garage sale for $10.00.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

What are you going to do with the $1105.56 you saved? Or with the chuck?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:59:30 -0700, the infamous "azotic" scrawled the following:

Oh, I don't like the look of that thing at _all_. I guess I can save my $1,200, eh?

-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Vises and chucks are both work holding devices. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to fasten a mill vise to your lathe spindle and spin it at

1000 RPM. Except on April 1.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

What does one do with such a chuck? Milling fixture?

Reply to
RBnDFW

Yep, I use it in the mill. shaper and surface grinder. It is keyed on the back side to drop rite in to a T-sloted table. The top jaws are removable and making custom jaws is a snap to hold some weird shapes that I occasionaly have to machine.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

You got me.