Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (<500$). Not enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.
Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the 50RPM needed?
What are you cutting and how much? Maybe those here can suggest a better solution if we knew what you are cutting. A cold saw is more than just a slow blade. The clamping must be stronger and the feed controlled or you strip all the teeth off the blade.
starbolin
First, any red blooded american will want to tinker "just because". Or as Forrest would say 'no particular reason".
I saw some really nice cold saws with a divided jaw vise - akin to two vises, side by side. That way, the cut off piece won't jam in the blade.
To be truthful, a small metal cutting bandsaw would do me for the <6" stuff I'd like to cut. But a man can dream, can't he?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:20:52 -0500, Louis Ohland

Did you see this thread awhile back that azotic brewed up? ==From: azotic Mar 31, 10:09 pm
Having a need for a compact metal cutting saw i decided to have some fun building one. Foot print is 8" X 10", cutting capacity is 3" X 6", equiped with a DC motor gives variable speed capability for a variaty of materials. Vise is removable and replaced with a small rotory table for angle cuts. Total cost is about $100.00 using new surplus components purchased on ebay. Construction time is under 8 hours.
Pix 4 shows a test cut.
Ideas, sugestions, comments welcome.
http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs2.jpg