My PDF manuals now online

I have been assembling a collection of manuals for things I bought, or contemplated to buy, or was interested in, etc. I placed them in my manuals directory and tried to name them very descriptively.

There are many metalworking related manuals, Bridgeport etc. Some manuals are just scanned JPEGs. Some are actually hard to find.

The Bridgeport shaper manual, emailed to me by Karl, was the "last straw", after which I felt that keeping them private was unfair.

Finally, I decided to make this collection public. My main hope is that they will be indexed by google and found by people looking for PDF manuals, who will download them and find them useful.

The URL is

Ignoramus8011

============== click on

to bottom of page

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Scholars and gentlemen abound here!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Many thanks- Very cool of you to do this for us all..

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Iggy

Have you got the web space and desire to have several more manuals?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Absolutely Karl. I have space for good manuals.

Ignoramus8011

It would be helpful if you added some model information. I did a test download of a manual which says "Hobart" and it wasn't what I was looking for, not even close. The link should indicate both the manufacturer (Hobart in this case) and also the model e.g. "Hobart 140 MIG welder".

When you get time ..

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant, hobart is a directory... I went there and renamed some files, though.

Ignoramus8011

Thanks Iggy!

Reply to
John Miller

It takes a while for that to happen. I bet yahoo finds it first. Seemed like my shooting club took a year to be 'found'. I even submitted it to the engines.

This weekend I'll post a link from my personal site to yours. If others post the same link your chances of being picked up increase afaikt. Hope you have bandwidth. My netbsd shell account is only good for 100MB a day.

Wes

Not much of a webmaster for:

Wes

That's great (the links). Usually it takes about 3 weeks for a site to start indexing, from the time googlebot re-reads the pages with links to it.

Thanks Wes. Links certainly will help.

As far as bandwidth goes, this site is on my home DSL, so it has some bandwidth.

Ignoramus2823

Thanks for posting them.

Phil Ste>I have been assembling a collection of manuals for things I bought, or

Reply to
Phil Stein

Wes, if you check out the NetMechanic site (or other similar help sites), you'll see numerous tools for helping your website's popularity or presence.

Probably one of the most important things is creating a metatag for your site. You can do that easily and free on the NetMechanic site.

When I saved a shortcut to your site, the name is: index You might wanna change that to something relative to your site's contents, the club's name, or the purpose of the organization, without writing out a sentence (just a word or 2-3 is probably best).

After creating a metatag containing the site description/keywords, if you get some club members to search those terms/words and click thru to your site's URL, it seems that the engines may begin to bump it up, but it will certainly create a presence. Have a group of members or friends use as many different engines as they care to, from Alltheweb to Yahoo, for a couple of weeks. If your site host has some tools for you to use such as CPanel, you'll be able to see statistical data for your site, including traffic by the month/week/day and a lot more.

I've heard for years that submitting a website to engines was neccessary, but I've never heard where it was effective for anyone. Maybe it was, over a decade ago.

Maybe you'll want to also create a metalworking website. It's amazing how popular they are, and how many metal enthusiasts are lurking around. There was a Roy (H,?) that used to post here regularly, and his metal website was probably the most popular personal website I've seen. I think he had a couple of million visits in a couple of years. BTW, his pages had metatags. It's archived in the WayBack machine, Chipmakers Frugalmachinist link below

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Thanks. I changed its title to "Igor's index of metalworking and electrical manuals". Good idea.

Ignoramus10724