Army manuals

I was looking for a particular army manual today and I was very dismayed.

98% of what I would find (except for the "real" file on scribd), were either outright spam ("Download XXX army manual! Click here to upgrade to fast downloads!), or adverts for asshole cdrom sellers and file sellers.

What I would like to do, is to buy a big collection of army manuals and simply post them online, kind of like I post my manual collection now

I do not expect to profit from this, I just want to kill the asshole CDROM sellers, not physically, but economically.

So, does anyone know where I can buy a good DVD set with army manuals, not encrypted or anything.

Ads for them abound, but I wanted to know some personal recommendations. I can search google and ebay myself.

Ignoramus17686

did you try army.mil? the last time I looked FM101 and such were still available for DL

Reply to
Bill Noble

I want all manuals (all publicly available), not just a few.

In my example, I was looking for TM-5-3895-355-14-P, which I finally found and liberated at

Ignoramus17686

So, spring a few bucks to get the cd, and put it on the site and undercut them. >:->

Good Luck!

Reply to
Rich Grise

Also , Google ETMs on line.

Reply to
Bob

The last time I needed MIL-STD documents I found them on the DOD web site for free. Wikipedia sends me here:

but things look half-broken and Firefox complains when I follow the links -- either they're undergoing maintenance, or they've been hacked. At any rate, I'd check back at that link to see if it comes alive again.

I doubt that you'll be able to get stuff that's seriously out of date, but IIRC I've found predecessor documents to current ones -- I think they keep the old ones around so that you can be effective analyzing older systems.

In general, if the document was paid for with taxpayer money, and if it isn't sensitive or classified, then it's out there for download from Uncle Sam. If it _is_ sensitive or classified, then see if you can get Julian Assange's phone number...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

How about

Jim Wilkins

I would like ALL OF THEM.

Ignoramus7361

I was looking for a particular army manual today and I was very dismayed.

98% of what I would find (except for the "real" file on scribd), were either outright spam ("Download XXX army manual! Click here to upgrade to fast downloads!), or adverts for asshole cdrom sellers and file sellers.

What I would like to do, is to buy a big collection of army manuals and simply post them online, kind of like I post my manual collection now

I do not expect to profit from this, I just want to kill the asshole CDROM sellers, not physically, but economically.

So, does anyone know where I can buy a good DVD set with army manuals, not encrypted or anything.

Ads for them abound, but I wanted to know some personal recommendations. I can search google and ebay myself.

You might try this website:

Pretty good source for information on lots of military equipment.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Not a CD or DVD but a bunch of mil handbooks you can download or maybe just provide a link to this site.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Federation of American Scientists (FAS.org) usually has good stuff.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

I think that I was a little unclear. I was not looking for a place to get a few of them. I want to get all manuals that are public. I am aware that it would amount to quite a few gigabytes of data.

Ignoramus7361

Ig, it appears that what you want may not exist. So there is an opportunity for you if you wish to undertake it.

Reply to
Rex

I have sitting here a Navships 91424(A) Instruction Book for RADIAC SET AN/PDR-27A

The Kelley-Koett Instrument Company Cincinnati, Ohio

Would you like to start your collection? It's yours for the asking. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

BTW, how's my list coming, mon? ;)

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't forget about the training films!

You're contemplating a huge undertaking, although you're a smart fella, ALL of the manuals are likely to be too many for one person to attain, organize and make freely available.

You might consider some limitations, such as manuals printed after 1959, related to machines-engines-vehicles-metalworking (not personal hygiene, how to dig a latrine, rig a tent, for example).

There are various levels of manuals for almost every piece of hardware used in military service, from operating manuals actually used by various personnel in daily operations, to overhaul literature used only at specialized repair facilities. So, the information in some manuals may have been written/compiled by the gubmint, printed by the U.S. Gov Printing Office, but other manuals may be the works of various equipment manufacturers.

Then there could be a problem with supplements which correct errors in the the previously issued manual. There may be a database of such supplements, but probably not easy to find. Sure, you'll be presenting the manuals As-Is, use at your own risk.. but some of the info will likely be inaccurate.

If you should stumble upon a large number of paper manuals, are you going to be willing to properly scan them so they're not crooked, distorted blurry, etc? This might mean removing the spine so the pages will lay flat on a scanner bed (and keeping them in order without the spine).

All of the scanned manuals that I've seen have been done by opening the book to lay it across the scanner glass. This will work OK for something the thickness of a magazine, but with thicker manuals, this results in dark shaded areas and distorted print near the spine. Then there's the issue of the scanner reproducing artifacts of the opposite side of the page (thru the paper, like a double exposure) superimposed over the page's image.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

You can get all the current publically available manuals from the horses mouth at:

You can see all the titles, but it seems about half the stuff is not available to the public.

Reply to
anorton

I am mostly interested in Technical Manuals (TM-...), not how to dig latrines and strangle sleeping sentries.

What I would like, mainly, is

a) Buy the manuals on a DVD or something b) Post the entire contents on BitTorrent so that anyone can get the entire contents, publish and republish c) Set up a website where any given manual can be found and downloaded, with, say, 30 manuals per day limit per IP.

I want to really kill the manual mafia.

Ignoramus7361

I cannot find any reasonably large torrent there right now (tens of gigs). I did look.

Ignoramus7361

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Firefox to connect securely to rdl.train.army.mil, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified."

Damn.

That's the same error I was getting before. I wonder if they expired on the 31st, and will come back on line later?

Reply to
Tim Wescott