Army manuals

I was looking for a particular army manual today and I was very dismayed.
98% of what I would find (except for the "real" file on scribd), were
either outright spam ("Download XXX army manual! Click here to upgrade to fast downloads!), or adverts for asshole cdrom sellers and file sellers.
What I would like to do, is to buy a big collection of army manuals and simply post them online, kind of like I post my manual collection now
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/
I do not expect to profit from this, I just want to kill the asshole CDROM sellers, not physically, but economically.
So, does anyone know where I can buy a good DVD set with army manuals, not encrypted or anything.
Ads for them abound, but I wanted to know some personal recommendations. I can search google and ebay myself.
On 1/2/2011 10:02 PM, Ignoramus17686 wrote:

did you try army.mil? the last time I looked FM101 and such were still available for DL

I want all manuals (all publicly available), not just a few.
In my example, I was looking for TM-5-3895-355-14-P, which I finally found and liberated at
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Detroit-Diesel/Detroit-Diesel-Series-53/TM-5-3895-355-14-P.pdf
Ignoramus17686 wrote:

So, spring a few bucks to get the cd, and put it on the site and undercut them. >:->
Good Luck!
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 00:02:26 -0600, Ignoramus17686

Also , Google ETMs on line.
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 00:02:26 -0600, Ignoramus17686 wrote:

The last time I needed MIL-STD documents I found them on the DOD web site for free. Wikipedia sends me here: http://assist.daps.dla.mil / quicksearch/, but things look half-broken and Firefox complains when I follow the links -- either they're undergoing maintenance, or they've been hacked. At any rate, I'd check back at that link to see if it comes alive again.
I doubt that you'll be able to get stuff that's seriously out of date, but IIRC I've found predecessor documents to current ones -- I think they keep the old ones around so that you can be effective analyzing older systems.
In general, if the document was paid for with taxpayer money, and if it isn't sensitive or classified, then it's out there for download from Uncle Sam. If it _is_ sensitive or classified, then see if you can get Julian Assange's phone number...
--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

I think that I was a little unclear. I was not looking for a place to get a few of them. I want to get all manuals that are public. I am aware that it would amount to quite a few gigabytes of data.

Ig, it appears that what you want may not exist. So there is an opportunity for you if you wish to undertake it.

You can get all the current publically available manuals from the horses mouth at: https://rdl.train.army.mil/soldierPortal/soldier.portal
You can see all the titles, but it seems about half the stuff is not available to the public.
On 01/03/2011 10:35 AM, anorton wrote:

"This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect securely to rdl.train.army.mil, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified."
Damn.
That's the same error I was getting before. I wonder if they expired on the 31st, and will come back on line later?
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

All it is saying is that there is a problem with the security certificate ( this is a secure https: site for some reason). If you just overide the error it will connect fine. It is no big issue since you do not have to supply any secure information to download.
On 1/3/2011 6:00 AM, Ignoramus7361 wrote:

I think that the question you are asking is not what you really want - you don't want all army manuals - it would seem that you are only interested in manuals related to machinery and operation of machines, or do you also want things like 2167, 490, 882B and so on? I told you where to get FM101, there are many other TTP related manuals there, including AFSC pub 1 - there are probably well over 100,000 manuals and specs of all types on line at DoD - why would you duplicate that?

As far as I know, they are not really on line.
Example is TM-5-3895-355-14&P.
On Jan 3, 1:02am, Ignoramus17686 <ignoramus17...@NOSPAM. 17686.invalid> wrote:

How about http://www.dtic.mil/dtic /

I would like ALL OF THEM.
"Ignoramus17686" wrote in message
I was looking for a particular army manual today and I was very dismayed.
98% of what I would find (except for the "real" file on scribd), were either outright spam ("Download XXX army manual! Click here to upgrade to fast downloads!), or adverts for asshole cdrom sellers and file sellers.
What I would like to do, is to buy a big collection of army manuals and simply post them online, kind of like I post my manual collection now
http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/
I do not expect to profit from this, I just want to kill the asshole CDROM sellers, not physically, but economically.
So, does anyone know where I can buy a good DVD set with army manuals, not encrypted or anything.
Ads for them abound, but I wanted to know some personal recommendations. I can search google and ebay myself.
You might try this website: www.steelsoldiers.com. Pretty good source for information on lots of military equipment.
Garrett Fulton
On Jan 3, 1:02am, Ignoramus17686 <ignoramus17...@NOSPAM. 17686.invalid> wrote:

Not a CD or DVD but a bunch of mil handbooks you can download or maybe just provide a link to this site.
http://www.weibull.com/knowledge/milhdbk.htm
Dan
On Jan 3, 1:02am, Ignoramus17686 <ignoramus17...@NOSPAM. 17686.invalid> wrote:

Federation of American Scientists (FAS.org) usually has good stuff.
Dave
Ignoramus17686 wrote:

I have sitting here a Navships 91424(A) Instruction Book for RADIAC SET AN/PDR-27A
The Kelley-Koett Instrument Company Cincinnati, Ohio
Would you like to start your collection? It's yours for the asking. ...lew...

    Aha! A Geiger Counter (or similar). I wonder whether that is the one which I have. Five decade ranges (IIRC), Hand-held probe for the more sensitive ranges, internal tube for the less sensitive ranges. Under the handle is a battery compartment for quite a few batteries. Two size F cells (longer and a bit fatter than the standard D cells), a 15V battery, a 135V battery (which I made an adaptor to take two of the 45V snap contact batteries years ago, back when they were affordable.:-)
    I really ought to make a DC-DC converter to run from rechargeable cells and produce all the needed voltages. Next time I need it, perhaps?
    It came in a Navy storage box, with spares for both Geiger tubes and a test/calibration rod of Lucite with a radioactive source embedded in one end (painted a dayglow red).
    I eventually had to replace the coiled cord to the probe with a RG-58 cable with BNCs on each end, and mount female BNCs on the box and the probe to accept those.
    Wherever it is -- I still have the manual with it -- from back when manuals included schematics. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail