Army manuals

It is harder to be good at many things. If I simply compile a good govt manual collection, it will be a good start. Maybe I will change my mind later.

Ignoramus26424

As in RTFM? :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

At Pirate bay now. Most Army Manuals.

kfvorwerk

Karl

This could not nearly be complete, at only 554 MB. Plus there are no seeds. But yes, this is a good place to look for manuals, I found some other torrents already.

Ignoramus25384

Yeah. I noticed that a little while ago. They are put up every so often. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Don I just looked at the battery list and it has a 135 V JAN type BA-416U a 22.5V JAN type BA-413U and 2 1.5V JAN type BA-401U You're right about the two detectors. So you don't want another copy I guess. Anyone else? ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I think gunner posted this earlier. alt.binaries.e-book.technical There have been a bunch of pdfs posted there. Depending on how your provider retention is you may find useful stuff there. I have enclosed a snapshot of my screen using printscreen and MS Paint

Reply to
jeff

[ ... ]

Sorry -- that should have been two of the 67-1/2V snap contact batteries -- what you need to make 135V.

[ ... ]

And to make an adaptor for the to 67-1/2V batteries you need to rivet two sets of snaps to some G-10 glass epoxy (or one of the later replacements) to accept both batteries, and then a right angle to a meal plate with an octal socket with an extra keyway filed into it to match the weird plug (designed to prevent plugging into some other voltage battery, I guess).

I mis-remembered the voltage of this one. It has been a while since I last used it. (To be honest, I'm not quite sure where itis at present. :-)

These I used to get by stripping apart either 1-1/2V or 6V square lantern batteries -- but they may have something totally different inside these days.

Depends. Having a second one would make me feel better about making a DC-DC converter and running it off more readily available rechargeable batteries instead.

The calibration/test rods have been through several half-lives by now, so there might not be much to see there. :-)

What were you asking for it?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

**** Why! *****

It is exactly things like this which is why most newsgroups (all without "binaries" in their names forbid posting of binaries. Not only will your image never make it to many sites (because a lot of news server drop binaries in non-binary newsgroups on the floor), but also you left out the final step which would have made this a little less offensive. BMP is one of the least efficient image formats because it has no compression. JPEG (JPG) is bad for text and line drawings because of the lossy compression which does wierd things to fine lines which meet at varous angles -- the narrower the angle, the worst the results if you zoom into a drawing.

The old image format GIF, however, is quite good for such subjects, even though it does not compress as much as JPEG -- but it does not lose information via the compression.

Since your image made it to me, and was not discarded by the intervening news servers -- mostly because you used the older encoding, "uuencoding", instead of the more common "base64" encoding, and because it took forever for the newsreader to read in the whole file, I took the time to convert the BMP file to a GIF (and in the process, I added an '_' in place of the space in the filename, because spaces are nasty to deal with with some systems.)

So -- here is a directory listing for both formats, and you can see how much size reduction was accomplished:

-rw-r--r-- 1 dnichols family 2.8M Jan 6 00:22 tech_manuals.bmp

-rw-r--r-- 1 dnichols family 103K Jan 6 00:24 tech_manuals.gif ======================================================================

But -- was there *any* real benefit from posting a screen dump instead of just the text description? All it did for me was to frustrate me, because I could see the scroll bar and keys, but I could not scroll it, because it was an image.

There are probably a lot of people who will be saying "What is he going on about?", because *they* never even saw the file.

Please -- no binaries in a text-only newsgroup.

Thanks, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don and to anyone else I may have offended. My sincere Apologies. I did not mean to cause any frustration. I just come here to learn and I do get lots of valuable info just lurking. I was just trying to help.... My bad. I was wondering what happened to the bitmap. My ignorance is no excuse. It won't happen again.

Reply to
jeff

It's the manual Don. :-) not the device. I told iggy he could start the collection with this manual. Sorry. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

O.K. Not a problem. I assumed that the manual was still with the device.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

If you do have to distribute something which is a binary, the best way to do it (for this newsgroup) is to post it to the dropbox

-- click on the link about the dropbox and how to post to it -- and once it is there (and you are *sure* it is there, because some things are rejected -- especially .doc files) post the URL of the dropbox and the file name so those who want it can download it.

But screen dumps are likely not worth the trouble unless you are pointing out how to run something that someone else is having troubles with.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols