Can a public domain military manual be "copyrighted" by a private person?

The US government (military) has published many technical manuals. All of them are produced with taxpayer money and are in public domain. Most of those are not secret and are generally available to the public.

Unfortunately, as they go, many are hard to find and there is a cottage industry of CDROM sellers and spammy websites that charge money for PDF copies of those manuals.

Needing one manual or another from time to time, I appreciate how difficult it has become to find a genuine manual for a free and easy download.

I would like to change all of this, and offer them all on my website, completely for free, and provide a BitTorrent download to get them all, so they could be reposted elsewhere amd become more available to the general public.

I looked at a few "Sets of manuals on DVDs" that are offered for sale, and saw the following statement:

``As we are the sole creators, manufacturers and distributors of this product we hold legal copyright to the product and its contents. Products are produced in-house using state of the art duplication techniques and conforms and is in compliance with any and all policies that may apply regarding the sale of media on recordable formats and buyers may not reproduce, copy or resell under any circumstances as materials are watermarked and protected. Some manuals may not include covers. THE ULTIMATE ARMY TECHNICAL MANUALS DISK SET IS COPYRIGHTED 1993-2010 WWW..COM. NO SALES TO DEALERS OR SELLERS.''

I would like to know how can they claim to hold "legal copyright" to documents that are in public domain.

Secondly, if I purchase a set from them, can they rely on contract theory to prohibit me from reproducing their manuals? As in, could they say that by purchasing the item, I agreed to their terms, and not allow me to publish them online?

Thirdly, if the contract theory can be used to prohibit me from reoffering their content, can I have someone else buy the set, and then give it to me as a gift, with no strings attached?

Again, I am not looking to resell a DVD set that I purchase from someone. I intend to distribute those public domain manuals for free online. Free as in freedom, meaning, anyone is completely free (and encouraged) to redistribute this content.

I can hire a lawyer if necessary, meaning, just a lawyer letter would not freak me out.

Ignoramus7361

Even thinking that asking for free legal advice on Usenet is a good idea proves you are not ready to enter into ANY sort of business.

Reply to
Anonymous

I already am in a "business". It works out okay too. I think that I can tell whether the author knows what he is talking about. I am fully prepared to hear one or a few ignorant opinions.

Ignoramus7361

Disclaimer: IANAL. Barratries Not Included.

They can claim (c) on original content they created. This might, for example, include extensive hyper-text cross linking inside and between all the manual PDFs. Since they don't tout that in the listing copy, odds are they did no such thing. I would at least expect a pop-up with their copyrighted logo.

Translation: we have no leg stand on in preventing exactly what you have in mind.

They may, however, have watermarked every page.

Doubtful, since that contract vanishes as soon as you resell the original item.

I'm wondering why these aren't already available, for free, as fully searchable text, on Google.

rjn

Reply to
rjn

Legal advice given on Usenet is worth every penny you paid for it.

Reply to
Anonymous

I don't have a clue about the legality of my suggestion but here goes. It would be a bit of work but since this information is already in the Public Domain PRINT all the information out and do a new scan of all the documents you printed out. Then you would not be distributing information that might be NEW (the digital copying by the previous party). It would probably be less hassle to consult an attorney specializing in Copyright Law.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

Am I talking to one person, or two, (LegalEagle) snipped-for-privacy@Arent.com and J.G. Wentworth) snipped-for-privacy@now.com ?

Reply to
Ignoramus7361

Consult an actual copyright atty.

I believe that in general, the public domain source material CAN NOT be "re-copyrighted" by a third party. What I believe they can copyright is their scan / republication of that source material. So if you can get the source material from an original public domain source, they can not claim copyright to your version of that material and you may distribute your version of that material any way you see fit, including releasing your version as public domain.

A rough parallel to this would be in the music world where music may be long out of copyright and anyone can produce their own rendition without paying royalties to the original composer, but those individual new renditions are copyright by the person/company that produced the new rendition.

Reply to
Pete C.

An additional thought:

Given that your goal is to host a public domain library of out of copyright manuals, and given the apparent false copyright claims of the CD pushers, it may be worthwhile to spend a modest amount to consult with a copyright atty. and get a letter from them citing the relevant copyright law and their position on it's applicability to your manual library, so you have that letter to forward to any sites that try to delete your posts, ban you, etc. based on false accusations from one of the CD purveyors.

Reply to
Pete C.

I don't have enough knowledge about this to give useful legal advice, but I believe there is also such a thing as a "Compilation Copyright." It can cover a collection of works by others. I think it protects the final collection and the format of the collection, but not the individual works. You might want to look into this and see hoe it might affect what you want to do.

WayneJ

Reply to
WayneJ

What Pete said. In essence, they've copyrighted the pdfs in which the uncopyrighted material has been put.

Look at it this way: The moon is not copyrighted. Yet if I fill a book with pictures of the moon I can copyright _those pictures_. You then cannot copy my book and sell it, but there's nothing preventing you from taking your _own_ pictures of the moon and selling _that_.

They're doing the same thing, they're just taking pictures of stuff that's less interesting to the general populace, and more interesting to you.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Looks like you are living up to your self-given name, and you are talking to yourself!

Reply to
Anonymous

Re: Can a public domain military manual be "copyrighted" by a private person?

Of course not. Are you just being obtuse to make some kind of point here?

You can only copyright something that you've personally created, and you automatically own the copyright simply by virtue of the fact that you're the creator of the document.

But "copyright" something that's already in the public domain? Can I have a hit off that thing before you roach it out?

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Pete, the relevant law is called "copyright in compilations". You can search google on this and find many pages that talk about it. Example is here:

In other words, possibly, compilation and arrangement may be protected. So, if I tried to sell copies of his DVDs, I may potentially be exposed to at least some possibility of being liable.

However, the items in the compilation, which are public domain US government works, are not copyrighted.

This is how I understand it.

Ignoramus7361

The above link did not work.

I agree with that. I am hoping that I can write some perl scripts to throw out those things.

Ignoramus7361

Wayne, you are absolutely correct and, indeed, the compilation law is what applies here.

Ignoramus7361

On that last part about removing the CD/DVD sellers tags, be cautious about the actual source of the document. If you copy and remove attribution to scans of original Army manuals that the seller has created, that would be copyright infringement. If the original PDF was produced by the Army, then that source would be public domain. This could be an issue for old Army manuals where there is no Army produced PDF version and legally you would need to obtain one of the hardcopy manuals and scan it yourself to have legal copyright to the scan.

Reply to
Pete C.

My recollection of the copyright law is that what is copyrighted is the collection of things, and not the things themselves. The original case law was about things like dictionaries and lists of synonyms and antonyms. The words cannot be copyrighted, but organized collections of those same words can be copyrighted.

The legal theory is that if one could not copyright such things, there would be no way to make money on such things, so nobody would go to the considerable effort to make such things.

The pdfs may themselves be copyrightable, as repayment for the effort to make them, even if the things scanned to make the pdfs are themselves not copyrighted.

It does not matter if the pdfs are sold or given away, as in either case the copyright holder is harmed.

Before you spend much effort on this, I would talk to a real lawyer.

But read this first: . It appears to be exactly on target.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Yes, they should have some copyrights for their original work selecting and transcribing the material Here is a good explanation (I would still consult a lawyer)

We went through this sort of thing. My partner published a book on sideshow banners. All the banners featured at the time of publication were the property of the authors and one of the authors was a direct descendent of one of the original banner artists.

People have been scanning the images out of the book and printing them out as posters, tee shirts etc. They all assumed that because the banners were so old that they were in the public domain, but the photographs of them in the book were in fact copyrighted.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

See Feist vs. Rural Telephone 499 U.S. 340 (1991)

Reply to
David Lesher