Can a public domain military manual be "copyrighted" by a private person?

the manuals are not copyright-able because the government holds the rights, what they are asserting copyright to is the compilation of the manuals, presumably due to their effort to gather them and put them on CD. If you do this yourself, you too can claim copyright.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Just publish them on Iggieleaks and you will be fine.

Reply to
BrotherBart

I think I found their problem.

Lumpy

Were you the voice of Casper? No. Popeye, Snagglepuss and Wells Fargo Bank.

Lumpy

I'm curious if this is a compilation of stuff posted on alt.binaries.e-book.technical and similar usenet groups?

Wes

Wes

Depends on the value added.

You can copyright the yellow pages, but not the white ones.

Links should be enough to do it.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Oh sure. Like someone actually publishes a big book with everyone's phone number in it. It would be huge and they'd have to re-print it all the time.

Lumpy

You Played on Lawrence Welk? Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

Lumpy

No they can't be copyrighted.

They are easy to find. Several web sites have libraries of them, and any non-classified manual can be downloaded from LOGSA for free by anyone.

Reply to
PeterD

Both phonebooks are copyrighted as compilations and typically include bogus entries to help identify copyright violators vs those who compile their own lists.

Reply to
DevilsPGD
*Snip*

It of course depends where you live.

This was recently thrashed out on comp.dcom.telcom. The general cvnsensus on yellow pages was that they arn't copywritable as they are a listing which isn't copywritabel. theargument that a compliation copyright would apply is discounted because it's the customer that decides which heading they are listed under, not the telco. Ad artwork is copyrighted but by the customer, not the telco.

The particular collection of classifications offered is a 'creative work', to which copyright would apply.

The telco cannot claim copyright on "which classification(s)" a given listing appears in, because it is not _their_ 'creative effort' that is involved. The category (or categories, if the customer wants to pay extra for the additional listings) is chosen by the customer, not the telco. An ad sales rep may make suggestions, but the final determination is made by the customer.

At most, telco can --arguably-- claim a 'compilation copyright' on the yellow pages, as a whole. For display ads, copyright on the ad content belongs to the telco customer. the minimal 'line item listings' are not copyrightable in and of themselves, they are mere 'facts', without the required 'creative effort'.

One cannot argue that the telco exercises 'creative effort' in selecting who is listed in the yellow pages -- anybody who pays for a listing _is_ listed. That's mechanical, not creative.

***** Moderator's Note *****

So, if the customer chooses the category, how did a Funeral Director wind up listed under "Frozen Meat"? Or, was that an urban legend?

Bill Horne Moderator

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Another way to do value added: Most of their manuals are single page scans. Using the OCR ClearScan in Acrobat X makes these into entirely different and entirely more valuable documents. Text becomes fully searchable. Quality of many images and line art can be stunningly improved.

See < p

> for examples of value added trumping original content.

While you are at it, why not do complete RE, PE, and ME reprints as well?

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Another thing to note is that if you use one source, it is plagurism. If you use two or more sources, it is research.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

Look and see what's on google books. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Wrong newsgroup, you constipated prick-gobbler.

Reply to
Blamie Jollie

Same thing is done with many publicly available items. Road maps, service directories are just a couple of the most common items.

Map companies will deliberately add a road or two and give them odd names. They will alter a roads path through a place where it doesn't have connector roads, Some towns will be spelled in an old or obsolete spelling. All done to protect copyrights.

When I used google maps to create a base map for out fire district I went through it and corrected all of these. Also added roads, removed others, tagged seasonal roads, placed electrical mains, tower lines, pipelines, added color coding for State/County/Town, Placed icons for water sources, plus added sectional color to show which MA departments would be best for certain locations. Lot's of work and I'm still adding to it.

Reply to
Steve W.
[ ... ]

Of course not. It was posted through one of thse services which "protects your privacy" by avoiding intact URLs -- they snip out part of the middle and replace it with elipises "..." -- even if they aren't yours, and are perfectly open sites. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That may be true, but the very idea that someone with qualifications is reluctant to help another that is trying to do something for others without profit speaks volumes about what's wrong with lawyers. Must every damned thing in life be measured by how much profit is at stake? I don't think so.

Before you get your shorts in a knot, understand that I have, for years, posted useful information on the two careers I pursued in my lifetime---machining and refining precious metals. All I have received for my efforts is the gratitude of those that don't have an ego too large to be educated by someone else. I feel good. Yeah, I do! I like how it makes me feel to help others.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

(ObAMOE snark) Are you sure that's legal? (/AMOE snark)

In all seriousness, thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge. We need more people like you.

jc

Reply to
jcdill

When you get them (manuals) from LOGSA, which is open and free, they are proper PDF files, searchable text, and indexed properly with figure and table indexes too... Why pay for something you can download for free? All non-classified manuals are avaliable from LOGSA and there is a good search. The site is, I admit, not user friendly if you don't know them well, but once you have been there a few times, it is easy to get what you want. I just save a link to the search page and that bypasses the home page stuff.

Reply to
PeterD

Awesome!

``3.2.1 May another publisher or individual republish a U.S. Government work and assert copyright?

A publisher or individual can republish a U.S. Government work, but the publisher or individual cannot legally assert copyright unless the publisher or individual has added original, copyright protected material. In such a case, copyright protection extends only to the original material that has been added by the publisher or individual. (See 17 USC § 40372 regarding copyright notice requirements for works incorporating U.S. Government works.)''

Great!

Ignoramus26424

Great idea. I can use PDF::OCR2 perl module.

What is that?

I am open to anything thst is not subject to copyright.

Ignoramus26424