Can caulk be microwaved?

I just got some caulk from the garage, a new tube of silicone. It was fairly cold in the garage, and the caulk is about 40 degrees. I put it a safe distance from the woodburning stove to warm up. I was wondering in the future ........ could I heat it up in the microwave?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think it'd either get too hot or not hot at all -- or something in the packaging would fry, and damage the caulk.

Chuck it in a tub of hot water.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I'd STRONGLY recommend AGAINST doing such a thing - think of what would happen if it blew up. Have you ever microwaved a raw egg?

Please, don't do it. Let the goo sit until it reaches room temperature before you use it.

Or, if you can afford a new microwave oven, go ahead and do the experiment (this is called "science") and report back here with your results. It's unlikely to burn the house down, but the oven would probably be unsuitable for cooking food.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Didn't EVEN think of that. Sat it on the stove for a couple of minutes, and pulled and rotated it. Got it to where it would flow. Need me one of them there fancy electricital caulking guns. Someone once asked what they were good for over standard guns. I have a new answer. To run cold caulk. Hard on the wrists otherwise.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If that caulk froze, there's a good chance it won't do the job you want it to. Then you can remove it and do it right the second time. Read the label on acceptable storage temps.

Newb

Reply to
newb

Yes, caulk can be microwaved.

Should caulk be microwaved? I don't think so, myself.

It might cure in the tube, it might burst inside the microwave. It could catch fire, too, which could be interesting - as in "may you live in interesting times". Or it could just emit all manner of toxic fumes and compounds - that might not be a good thing if you want to use the microwave, or the kitchen, or the house, again.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Video. We must have video.

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Video. We must have video.

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but ..............

They suggest 20 seconds.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B