Scary San Bruno Announcement

Just heard a "spokeswoman" from NTSB state that "If you don't know the pressures that your pipelines are operating under, you may be in danger."

Sorry, lady, but they ain't MY pipelines, and if they were, you can bet I'd know what pressures they were running, or that government regulators would be crawling all over them and my books demanding to know why I didn't.

Just like always with government agencies.

With all the government regulations involved in Twinkies in school, whether or not I need to wear a seatbelt on I-5, and how much I should be taxed on my Social Security income, I find it totally ludicrous that we are told that "we" need to know the operating pressures of DOT NTSB regulated buried pipelines, and their dangers. Excuse me, but isn't that THEIR jobs, and what we are taxed on to pay for supervision?

What about the NTSB, DOT, ICC, OSHA .................................... AND ON.................AND ON ........................AND ON .................. AND ON?

What are these people getting paid for, and where the hell are they?

Oh, dang, I forgot. They're in Hawaii with Barry.

Oh, dopey me.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Well, it's rare that I actually defend a government agency...

The NTSB has *no*, nadda, zip authority to make rules, laws or change the way *anything* is done.

They just investigate, usually with a high degree of competence and impartiality. They make recommendations, usually to the FAA, but also to other government agencies and to congress. They have no control on whether their recommendations are ignored or acted upon.

Given that, perhaps the spokeswomans' remarks are a little more understandable.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

But it was on the radio, and must be true ..............

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Here's the LA Times article: