Levin Turret Lathe Info Request

Anticipating the most appropriate sentiments sincerely evoked by this post, I'll let Shakespeare admit for me that "Where the bee sucks, there suck I."

A good friend sold me an 18" Levin turret lathe, an older, gray-painted model with motor, table and some accessories. That he was later offered 5 times more than the price we agreed on after we sealed the simple promise of payment on the arrangement, says too much for him and just a bit for the value.

I got a generic PDF lathe manual from Levin. A call to them had me leave a message praying for a parts schematic. The machine looks clean and unruffled but operation will tell if there are any issues that need addressing outside of new belts.

DAG but no hits came up for any user groups and though there were a few ownership acknowledgements on a Sherline lathe group on Yahoo. A search for a spec manual reaped nada.

If anyone has references to websites, user groups, helpful books, schematic sources or manuals directly for this elder Levin or kindred lathes in general, I would be in your debt for the notice.

No model number or designation more informative than the maker's name is obviously visible on the unit.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

If they don't call back, try again. If you get someone on the phone, unless things have changed, you will find them friendly and helpful.

I had a Levin turret lathe about 10 years ago. It wasn't in the best of shape for a Levin, but at the time I was doing a LOT of small shaft work and it beat the holy heck out of the 16" engine lathe I also had at the time! Didn't have the leadscrew cross slide/compound, just the dual lever acting cross slide setup. I modified the end plates of the cross slide to accept small Starrett micrometer heads, which made dialing in snap ring grooves very easy.

Be sure to be sitting down if you need to order any parts. They are very very expensive! I would recommend setting up an ebay search on Levin, tweak filtering until you get most of the unrelated stuff out, and save it with email notifications for new listings. Just keep watching, deals will come along now and then.

I found the lathe a joy to use, while I had work for it. Hated to sell it, but it was really useless for me once the small diameter work went away.

Instead of looking for Levin groups, look for watchmaking groups. Might have to poke around some to find one with some Levin owners. The guy I bought mine from lived in Fresno, first name was Dave, but I don't recall his last name and all emails from that era were lost in a HD failure. He had a whole room full of watchmakers lathes, tooling, and accessories. One machine he had that I was just drooling over was a very small horizontal mill. Forget the maker, but it was just the cutest danged thing I have ever seen. Had a ton of accessories for it, and all slides were tight and smooth as glass. Anyway, if you can locate this guy, he would likely be of assistance.

FWIW, talking about stand up people... I sold the lathe to Performance Machine Tools in Fremont (California). They made me an offer over the phone, around $3k IIRC. I had sent some pictures, but didn't have a good digital, so it was hard to judge the condition. It was tight and very servicable, but wasn't pretty. I loaded it up in Dad's van and took it down. The owner was busy when I got there, so I wandered around looking at machines. In the front showroom, they had a totally pristine Levin, I mean virtually unused. When you consider markup, they have to make money..., it wasn't selling for that much more than the offer on mine. I felt maybe I'd been offered too much. When I finally met with the owner, I asked if he didn't want to see the lathe before settling on the price. He assured me that his offer was firm. So we unloaded. I could see by the look on his face that he regretted his comment. But he cut the check without a single word of complaint. I'm sure he made money on it, but not what he'd thought he would. Stand up guy...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Ed,

On a lark I went and checked my files, I have a few brochures from Levin, maybe what you already have, but I also have a parts price list, dated 1994. Shoot me your address, my email is valid, and I'll drop them in the mail to you.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Jon:

The email will wing out in a minute. Thank you kindly for the favor. I'll cover you on the cost. But...if you're reading any topic I have extra books on, give me a notion of the subjects and there may be something otherwise I can do.

Regards,

Ed

Reply to
Edward Hennessey