Can a public domain military manual be "copyrighted" by a private person?

I tried to search LOGSA using the search field.

For example, I tried to find this document:

I tried to search for TM 5-3895-355-14&P, or "detroit diesel" and found nothing.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Ignoramus26424

Are saying Showme Yourass doesn't really live at 37 1/2 Paypal LN?

Reply to
clams

Likewise!

Reply to
Ignoramus26424

Devils, I think that we are both non-lawyers with somewhat informed opinions.

I will try to find a real copyright/IP attorney to find out the scoop. Fortunately, this is all covered exclusively by federal law.

Ignoramus26424

Try searching for 3895 (just part of the manual number, not the whole thing). The search for "detroit diesel" probably won't return anything, because no manual would use that term in the title, however it is possible that it is titled that way, I'm not sure.

The '&P' that is often seen in these names and links is bogus, and should always be removed, it confuses the search engine.

Searching is a PITA at LOGSA until you get used to the fact that a logical search term won't return anything useful, but one that isn't logical will always return stuff!

And also if the manual is totally out of date and/or classified, you won't get a hit either. Do you know the age of the document in question? If it is from the 50s or even 60s, I suspect it has been removed from LOGSA as not useful anymore. Realize that LOGSA is intended to support the military needs, and stuff that manuals won't be needed for (because there are no more units in use) won't be found probably.

Reply to
PeterD

Searching for 3895 does not return any results.

Looks like this website is a brainchild of the general's braindead nephew or something of the sort.

It is not classified, but probably 30 years old.

Ignoramus25384

Email Igor Chudov and ask him how he found it.

Reply to
FrediFizzx

The easiest way to avoid US intellectual property rights is to host the information in Antigua which is protected by the World Trade Organisation against US copyright actions due to non payment of damages levied on the USA in 2009 over online gambling.

Basically the ruling allows for anything that has copyright in the USA to be copied and distributed for free or for a fee until such times as the US complies with the umpire's decision.

The damages is peanuts in terms of world trade - about US$3 million. The losses in copyright have been estimated at being in excess of US$30 million in 2010.

Reply to
Why are people so cruel

Well, hosting a server in Antigua does not remove me from the US jurisdiction.

Ignoramus25384

Iggy *could* email himself, but what would be the point?

You are obviously not a RCM regular or haven't been following the Iggy saga .....

HINT: Its HIS website!

Reply to
IanM

I love talking to myself, at least I talk to someone intelligent who always agrees with me!

Ignoramus25384

Hmm... Interesting. This is crossposted to AMOE; not a regular of RCM but Iggy is a regular of AMOE.

Reply to
FrediFizzx

I don't know how the copy right laws work but... I did something similar except I didn't buy the CD's from anyone. I just looked the info up where it's available free online and went from there. Here's one good source for free field manuals:

are others as well just Google em.

Reply to
Ozark