Online Manuals

Hi, Following some abuse of the online manuals on our websites we have now turned off the mailing facility leaving just the download option.

We have IP addresses that point to two UK ISPs and they have been given the IP address used so that they can trace the people involved.

A lot of people around the world use the system with over 100 genuine downloads a day going out, shame that some bad apples exist.

We did contemplate turning off everything but that would mean the people concerned had won.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Hi, My fault really, I trusted people to use it!

By putting an email address in a field it would send a copy of the manual. A very large number have been sent to Hotmail and AOL addresses resulting in the domains being excluded by those companies SMTP servers. Hopefully they are now removing those blocks.

When I've calmed down I'll modify the scripts to do a confirmation mail before the file is sent. 800 Meg of files were sent in two days.

We have another 300+ manuals to scan and more arriving all the time but it does make you wonder if it is worth it.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Sorry to hear that, Paul. What do you mean when you say abuse? What was happening?

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Paul, I've used your manual service several times and was impressed with the speed and ease, so much nicer than registering etc. One of these days, I'll get over to the museum.

Don't let the b*ggers grind you down! Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Sorry to hear that the minority are spoiling it for the majority again. I have used the pages and found them to be excellent. Plz don`t let them get the upper hand in this.

Cheers,

MartinH

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
martinH

Paul --

Just tried to access manuals out of curiosity (Fri 1100hrs). Got reject from BT re server exceeding bandwidth limits. Never seen that before.

I'd go the registration route. That's the norm, & let's you offer mailers on the progress on the museum, as well as on new manuals or other developments.

Thought the new promo material at Croeslan was good.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Completely agree with all points made. Registration should fix it.

Your website and the manual service are an absolute Godsend to those of us fairly new to the hobby and are a credit to your hard work.

Keep it up, there are a lot of appreciative people out here!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I know it's bad netiquette to send 'me too' posts, but I must add my voice to the chorus of approval for what you are doing. I hope you can find some way to prevent the IQ0's from spoiling it.

Reply to
Nick Highfield