Compatibility

One the subjects that we on the group never got round to discussing was the matter of compatibility, between parts in particular but also in general for things like engine accessories, air cleaners for example.

Back in the 1920's and 30's there were not many suppliers of things like air cleaners, so makers like Lister didn't fit them, full stop. Later on, there became available a few makes of air filters and oil-bath cleaners which turn up across a range of engines but never seem to have the connection made.

Injection equipment is another area where a lot of parts are exchangeable, with the obvious exception of things like pump elements and nozzles and maybe delivery valves. Of what is left, nearly all are common parts across a range of engines. The BPF1B pump for example, has almost 100% commonality of its major parts across a range of UK and overseas engines, only the element, rack and housing change much.

Magnetos are another area in which a lot of the major parts from a series are common, with just a minor set of things like mountings and drives being different. This may not be as fruitful a source of bits as some may like, but the BTH mags had a basic range which was modified to suit a specific application, same with the Wico A series which was probably the most-fitted magneto in history.

Carburettors have their foibles but the Solex and Zenith ranges have many coomon parts as with the items listed above, albeit needing a bit of research.

Spark plugs we know about generally, and personal preferences/experience seem to guide what is used as much as the original makers recommendations!

Maybe I'll get a listing together of such bits and pieces one of the days and see how much stuff we can find.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Having just perused a newly acquired Wellworthy 1932 catalogue. I would add pistons/rings/valves. It is surprising how small a range was needed to fit most popular makes of cars in the 30s. The only SE example that springs to mind would be the genuine paraffin ListerDK, Ruston PB & PT and Wolseley WD1 which all used a piston of identical dimensions but different ring arrangements. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Been meaning to post this for a while but from somewhere in the distant murky past I have aquired a load of photocopies of various BTH magneto spec sheets, From memory, not seen these for a while, they are more mounting and dimension sheets that actual " remove the thisby from the end of the wagtdomecallit " type of sheets

Are these common and in popular circulation or am I sitting on something that needs to be shared ?

___

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Reply to
John Stevenson

For myself I've never seen anything like that. In happier days, I'd have suggested that Paul might like to add them to his electronic library list .--

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who wishes you and yours all the very best for the Festive season and a cheerful and prosperous New Year.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Still would add them.

I think the general feeling after the problem was that the benefits outweigh the plonkers so we have put everything back as was and are continuing to add new stuff.

One of the things to remember is that while some of this stuff is still readily accessible here, countries like the US, SA, Aus etc find this stuff invaluable. There is a new section going live after New Year with a load of useful stuff in on bearings, seals etc.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Probably like the Wipac Master Manual that I have, it's info that needs to be kept safe but probably not needed for immediate circulation, but I may be wrong with so many Petter nuts around... :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Many Petters that interest me had BTH mags but none Wipac AFAIK :-) I'd be glad to make both the Hepolite and Wellworthy catalogues available to Paul however they are voluminous so it might be better just to include a link to me? ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

"voluminous" Rolands doing it again, got to get the dictionary out from under the table leg again. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Yes, I was referring to the BTH content that JS was posting about..

Peter

Peter A Forbes

A couple of years ago our local engine reconditioners gave me a loose-leaf binder of handwritten notes on (diesel) engine specs, written out on pre-printed sheets, mainly relating to injection equipment. It seems to date from circa 1951, it is far from complete and perhaps mainly relates to engines the writer had dealt with. Some rarities are mentioned which I didn't even know existed (Marshall ED5,

2-cyl loop-scavenged 2-stroke, though details on that are limited). If you were desperate to know what nozzles were fitted to a Petter-Fielding SS Major MkII or a Davey Paxman 4YE , it will tell you

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

I use the CAV and Bryce listings from 1952 to 1960, lots of information but one of the most useful things I have is the element identification sheets from CAV and Simms, which enable any (well, almost any) element to be identified from the number stamped on one of the ears of the element plunger.

Delivery valves are another curiosity, we have boxes of them, but it can be awfully difficult to say for sure which application they were used in.

I am currently chasing a load of old Bryce catalogues which are with a company that does fuel injection repairs. I hope these will be pre-1950 so I can go further with ID'ing more of the old stock we have.

Paul Evans also has a large stock of old diesel stuff which he mentioned to me this morning while discussing something else.

Peter A Forbes