Bradford Gas diesel engine

Anyone heard of this engine ? made in 1 or 2 cylinders, Bradford I know of but a diesel engine ?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I checked "The Oil Engine Manual" 1939. which covers all British Diesel engine manufacturers of the time & Bradford are not mentioned.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Have a hunt in SEM within the last few months. ISTR that they made them briefly in one and two cyls. CS lookalike but NBG. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

It's a bit later than that, Dave. It is in the 1955-57 but gone from the 1958-61 CAV data books.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Bradford did make 4 stroke Diesels. I had a type 1A which is a water cooled

6hp indirect injection lump (designed by Freeman-Sanders and remarkably similar to the Fowlers of the same era), which now resides with a new owner in Yorkshire complete with an original manual. They didn't make many and fewer survive because (as Roland remarked) they were NBG. There's been a few turn up in the SEM in South Africa. They also made a smaller aircooled version (type 1B) which was sold under licence by Norman (of the T300 etc) but these are even rarer. I've never come across one but I keep looking as they would be a nice thing (Like the D415's ;-) to add to the collection.

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Thanks, Dan and Roly, I have since turned up another CAV listing which does cover 1958 to 61 and the earlier two engines are there, plus the 1B that Dan mentioned.

The pump size (BPF1B) indicates a similar size to the 5/1 but only a 6mm pump element so not quite as big maybe.

Dan: Did you get the email re sharpener?

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I can supply photocopies of the manual should anyone require such!!!!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

Wouldn't mind one for the Manuals section on the website.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

I think by then it would have been Autodiesels, who took over Norman, and who along with Arthur Lyon & Co (ALCO) were Norman's major distributors. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Autodiesels took over Norman in the early 1960's and moved production of the flat twins from Warwick to Uxbridge.

Reply to
Nick Highfield