To Do List - Winter 2003

Our to-do list for this winter (as suggested by Arthur).

Grout in 168hp Tangye twin - mix 1.5 tons of grout. Scrape new big end bearings for Tangye and finish pipework - first run end of November. Move 6 ton Petter SS indoors and concrete. Pipe up Petter, strip top end off and rebuild, get running. Assemble Petter TX1 27hp single. Install 16hp McLaren/Petter-Fielding DH single Finish Ruston 3M and get running. Install Bristol Proteus in shed, fabricate exhaust and then frighten neighbours. Prepare foundations and erect Ruston 8H horizontal diesel. Prepare foundations and erect Crossley HH11 horizontal diesel. Find 350 psi compressor so we can run the Worthington Simpson. Install and pipe up Allen S12 500hp diesel. Move 25 ton Allen diesel from London to Wales and re-erect. Start restoration of Petter VJ2 - pistons last moved in 1936. Collect two more gas turbines from Cornwall. Move 55 ton steam engine from Lancashire. Collect 12 ton Brush twin from Mid-Wales. Make new bearings and big end for National P type oil engine and install.

plus a whole load of general pipework and other building type jobs, create childrens play area :-)

  • do kitchen for Hazel (low priority).

If anyone ever feels bored ....

Engines now fully installed and running include:-

Ruston 9H (51hp horizontal) Ruston 6XHR (36hp horizontal) Lister CS/Ruston BC compressor set. Allen S30 (120hp) Belliss & Morcom S5 (100hp) National P type gas engine Crossley VO7 (11hp semidiesel) Hamworthy Oil engine/compressor Tangye VCR2 generator

Most others are nearly installed or awaiting commissioning.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

14 niles up the road. The late Geller Jones collection is there but they have done nothing with it, apparently all in a very bad state.

We are just over 2 hours from you, I go that way all too regularly.

Cheers Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

I think you're likely to win the "Haven't I got an interesting Winter Ahead?" competition, Paul.

Another thing I'd like to have on my list is visit Castell Pridd, but it's such a long way that I will have to make the trip in Summer sometime.

Perhaps Jeni will tolerate a days engine viewing if I make it a trip including some highlights for her, gardens, National Trust places etc. Are you far from Llanerchaeron?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

I GO THAT WAY ALL TOO REGULARLY? - this is the best of God's country. The problem for me is I leave it all too regularly :-).

Two hours sounds better than I expected, you might seee me this Winter after all. Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Paul --

Great task list, but seems less intimidating than you physically achieved last winter!! Most of us dream -- you & Hazel get things done. That Tangye twin is just wonderful -- really looking forward to seeing it run.

On Llanerchaeron & the Geller Jones collection. This collection was superb, & included many very rare open cranks. My favourites were the horizontal Victoria portables -- hardly any on the planet & either 2 or

3 in this collection, plus so much more. I hope reports that it all sits rusting in a field are inaccurate. Must go & look -- the place closes for the winter on 2 November. As the name indicates, its on the River Aeron, at the Aberaeron end of the Lampeter/Aberaeron A482.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Osborne

Decorating finished, all I have to do is tidy up so I'm doing this for an hour. I'll not be here on Sunday when she returns, but as it is a complete surprise, I'm sorry I'll miss seeing her face as she walks into "someone else's" front room.

Paul, I take my hat off to you, especially as I am a devout worshipper of the Law of Sod and have the maxim "No plan survives first contact" embroidered on a sampler above my bed !

If, whilst passing Bristol, a small gas turbine should be going spare, please do let me know.......

I have three projects in hand, one recently completed (the ALCO featherweight, but still without its taper fitting direct drive coupling) and others stacking up. The Coventry Victor AC4 calls to me very loudly, but I'm determined to get the Edgar Westbury 80W done first and apart from liberally spraying Plus Gas around it, I've left it severely alone.

The EW80 is an interesting little beast and has the weakest spark of any genny I've seen, certainly not enough to fire a plug. I don't suppose anyone is breaking one for bits as I think the coil is faulty, although I've not checked the capacitor yet, it's true. Aside from that and no exhaust, it is complete. Last year at the Burford rally I picked up a bloody great chromed spotlight and found it a nice wooden tripod for a fiver at the Sort out . I drilled and taped the platform last week and it fits the spotlight base very well. With the EW80 sitting nicely between its legs, it will provide dedicated power for an interesting new exhibit that will also be useful!

I'm off roofing this weekend. We are lifting the roof sections tomorrow, so I'll either be a very happy bunny on Monday or bitter and twisted.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a free frontal lobotomy!

Reply to
J K Siddorn