NG access

In the spirit of inclusivity, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who
would participate but have problems opening an Usenet account.
Google Groups is ok for consulting the 'archives' and lurking, but is far
too slow for any kind of continuity when posting. I initially worked through
mailgate (I'd never even heard of Usenet) and only moved to a proper Usenet
account when that went through a spell of unreliability. Well it is
apparently up and running again and is (at least was) quick and simple to
drive. Give it a go:-

The Internal Fire website also offers access, haven't tried it so can't
comment on speed etc:-

Anyone aware of other web based news services?
Reply to
Nick Highfield
I've gone onto Internal Fire for access.
Earlier use of Google groups always meant posts appeared hours or days later (& sometimes not at all). Meant that my posts appeared long after the conversation had moved on, & were probably unhelpful ...... or at the least, made me look a bit behind the times!
Post this morning via Internal Fire appeared within 10 mins of writing. You do need to log on etc, but that's a helpful security check anyway, especially in the light of Geoff's Anson post. Paul Evans is very much system-aware, with a strong professional internet/networking background, so is able to manage access security very closely.
##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader
Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##
Reply to
Colin Osborne
I remain completely satisfied with I just timed my last posting to the NG and it appeared in 2 minutes 35 seconds. It occasionally might take as long as 5 minutes, but never more.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
J K Siddorn
"J K Siddorn" wrote
We take a feed from them but the cron job runs every 15 minutes, I can always reduce that.
If enough people were using it I would take a direct feed, not worth the hassle at the moment.
Paul
-- ____________________________________
Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales
(under construction)
Reply to
Paul Evans
If this message appears then my old subscription to mailgate is still active. However I was told last night by a fellow club member that the subscrition details are now in Italian and, having checked, I see that the following note appears - "Subscription to this service is temporarily not available for users outside Italy. We apologise for the inconvenience" so that's no use then. Come on you computer/usenet/internet whizz kids won't someone post a simple jargon free guide to how to set up a usenet account, or even better point us at a simple web based news service like mailgate.
NHH
Reply to
Nick Highfield
That's right, I keep an eye on Mailgate from time to time, but it's been like that for perhaps a year, ever since Mailgate re-appeared after crashing in flames in 2002
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
J K Siddorn
Now
managed to knife and fork my way through setting this up using outlook express, still not as simple as a web based service like mailgate though.
Reply to
Nick Highfield