A Grand day out!

There were 33 engines at the Crank up at Eastmore Steam Railway Station in Somerset with about eighty of us members present. Several Lister D's, a couple of tiddly turn-of-the-century gas engines, a Crossley 1060, Wolseleys both finned and not, a tidy Lister H with a square bodied ML magneto in addition to the more usual A's and B's. There were also N and P Stuart Turner's, a Villiers WXII, vintage tractors, three fifties lorries, a Wolseley 1500 car and two OT exhibits of seed sowers and another of stirrup pumps.

I took my Norman T300 out for walkies and it fired up at once and ran for four odd hours missing the same beats every time! The fan is too efficient and the heads were only hand hot after that time. There is such a thing as measure and I'll have to look at blanking rings for the fan.

On the frugality front, I think it used about half a gallon. This has got a hold of me now and I shall have to do some comparative tests. I've got the Norman T300, a CV of about the same size, a PU4 (compressor cylinder), a PU2 and a PU8. Anyone else want to join in? I was thinking about something pretty simple like run the motor for half an hour on no load and with a topped off tank. Refill after half an hour & measure the quantity required.

It was fun day out after the Christmas blow out and a welcome breath of fresh air.

Where did you go?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who wishes you and yours all the very best for the New Year.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Gentlemen,

Having spent the last three days with mine and my wifes family in Suffolk we decided that we would have a thoroughly lazy day today and so far it has been an un-mittigated success, I did visit a local Computer Fair this morning and after lunch I did visit the Land of Nod for an hour. Tommorrow I intend making some new blades for our garden windmill and Tuesday I will visit the Science Museum in London, alone as my friend is unavailable this week, Thursday I will take an engine to our Club crank up and then Monday its back to work. Ho Hum :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

My Crossley PH1070 was at the Christmas Crank-Up at Riccall yesterday - used a full gallon of unleaded in about 6 hours running, though I suspect most of that dripped out of the needle and air valves at the bottom of the carb! I'll try and get some piccies up this week.

I've always found Norman T300's to be fairly frugal running light - mine tends to use more as I like to run it up to full flight occasionally so I don't have to take the plugs out and clean them ;-)

I was a bit miffed last week when my propane bottle (19kg) ran out - the Tangye Gas engine has done two seasons on it, plus it has run the space heater in the workshop this winter!

Best petrol engine I have is the Lister A1 - will run all day idling at about 200rpm on a pint of petrol. Best Diesel is the Tangye M - ran for three days at Welland last year on less than 5 gallons of white spirit, waste paraffin, TVO, red diesel mixture.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

I went to the auto jumble at Winford Market. Didn't you make it Kim? I did look out for you. There were a few interesting bits and pieces, a Fowler Diesel, some Stuarts and a little Petter 1 1/2 hp Rugby top, as well as the usual Lister Ds, Petter A1s, and remains of various utter wrecks. It was a pleasant outing for an hour or so.

Bought a Governor Blowlamp, but it's only a one pinter, not the two pinter I would like for the Petter S. It's a damn sight better than the puny Primus I've been using....

My clothes, the shed and indeed probably the whole property smell of paraffin after the various sputterings and flares emerging from the Governor, before I finally got all the crud out of it.

Before Martin starts complaining about the miserable sods who won't offer him seasonal greetings, happy New Year folks!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Why do you regard the two displays above as being "off topic"? I would have thought that these items (along with Tilley lamps, tractor seats and other agricultural "bygones") were just as valid as targets for preservation: they help to "fill in the background" as it were and help to present a complete picture of the past on the farm.

Comments, please!

Brian L Dominic

NB Rumpus

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

Friends of the Cromford Canal:
Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

Winford market? Tried, but "family duties" insisted I should not be out two days running if I wanted hot meals this week!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who wishes you and yours all the very best for the New Year.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

wrote

Well said Brian, We are trying to display some of the smaller engines in original settings. Its causing more problems finding the "dressing" than the engines. There is a lot to find ranging from period oil cans through to tools and anything else that might have reasonably been in the shed at the time.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

Ah, tongue too far in cheek, I fear. It was a poke at myself as I often post OT stuff on this NG, so I thought to amuse us .................

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who wishes you and yours all the very best for the New Year.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Dan Howden" wrote

We ran the big Worthington Simpson two stroke twin for the first time today. At

150 rpm it used 1.5 gallons in two runs of 2 minutes each.

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

That's all right - I'll let you off, THIS time....................

Brian L Dominic

NB Rumpus

Web Sites: NB Rumpus:

Friends of the Cromford Canal:
Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway:

Brian Dominic me

Now come on Martin, no excuse for all this laziness. Have you got an open crank engine yet?? If not, a couple of hours down in the shed with a new hacksaw blade, and I'm sure your Bradford would look very nice as an open crank. It would be lighter to move around as well. I'm just so full of good ideas tonight :-))

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

Philip,

The hacksaw blade is not required as the top comes off to create a semi open crank anyway. As regards the open crank I will heed Peter's advice and take my time, I want something that is all there but will require work. I'm not into buying somebody elses restoration if I can do it myself.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

ISTR a few rallies running Lister D running competitions. You had to run your engine on a cupfull of of petrol for the longest time. Quite amusing I recall!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

Dave Croft