eBay - electric motor

This is believed to be an Edison electric motor from the late 19th century. Probably used to drive a phonograph &c I believe it works on 6v DC.

The field coils could do with some TLC so I haven't attempted to power it up. The shaft turns smoothly. Buyer to pay postage, it weighs about

5.5 Kilos. Any questions please ask.

Winning bid: £1,131.00

Eek ! Do they often go for this sort of price ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Seems quite an extraordinary amount of money for something that doesn't look that special.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

"Nick Highfield" said> Seems quite an extraordinary amount of money for something that doesn't look that special.

- and of course, our Iron Toys look so-o-o-o much better when we dig them out of a hedge back ;o))

If it was an 1890 gas engine in similar condition - what, Class 3 ? - we'd have fallen over each other to get there first.

Personally, I think it is a lot older and may be a Faraday - but I'd stand to be corrected, of course.,

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Did Faraday ever move his electric motor beyond the 'laboratory demonstration' stage?

If the desription is correct then the complete instrument would be a very rare and expensive item (electric phonographs actually pre-dated the spring driven type). So I guess if is was a matter of completing a rebuild then the price could make sense.

Reply to
Nick Highfield