Lost key to 1977 Datsun 280Z?

A friend has an old 1977 Datsun 280Z that he would like to rehabilitate. He's had it for years. He long ago lost the ignition key. Can a new key be obtained or is it necessary to install either a new ignition switch (where the key goes in), or worse yet, a new ignition switch assembly?

Thanks so much.

John

Reply to
dejola

take the door lock-the right one, to a locksmith.. UNLESS the ignition HAS been changed out in the past --Shiva--

Reply to
me

By right, do you mean passenger side or correct. I suspect you mean passenger side door lock. How do I get it out of the door?

Thanks so much for your prompt reply and your help.

Reply to
dejola

yes, passenger side.. got to pull the inner door panel off--the window and door open handle, plus the flat panel, then you can get to the door lock.. has a clip..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Thanks, Shiva. And the door lock has a code on it that works for the ignition key?

Thanks again.

Reply to
dejola

if not, think it has most if not all the cuts, so that a key can be made.. HOWEVER, if someone HAS replaced the ignition lock separately, then all bets are off..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I've made a bunch of keys for the old Datsuns. Half hour or so work, don't need to take any of the locks apart.

Call a locksmith.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or the locksmith can do it right at the car. For me it's usually easier to work with the car all put together.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ahhh, the good ol' days!

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

"Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS" snipped-for-privacy@spaam.com wrote in message news:SPw7g.708$W83.686@trnddc07...

they sure was !!!

g'day to ya

Reply to
Key

The days of single sided Fords. Code numbers stamped on locks. GM had four depths. A "foreign" car was a six tumbler Nissan or Datsun with an X6 or X7 key.... yes, things much simpler.

Anyone remember key codes stamped into the bottom of Master locks?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

still get some of them with that..LOL we got OLD locks here.. neighbor hollered today, has a Russwin Mortice lock on front door of house, the key lock is on the INSIDE>. on the outside is a round knob.. go outside, and turn the knob and the lock locks, and CANNOT be unlocked from there.. got to enter by another door to get back in. Lock made by Russwin, took an RU45 key..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

This is not a lock problem, it is an instalation problem. Sounds to me like someone hung a door with a pre installed lock and never bothered to reverse the hand of the lock.

Should be an easy fix to make it right.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

might very well be..but, if we reverse it, then you could lock it from inside and not unlock.. will suggest it, perhaps.. had a dickens of a time taking the door down so we could get it opened again.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

I believe that the lock is supposed to be able to be locked or unlocked from inside or outside. If you disasemble it you should be able to spot the problem.

Wear is usually just in the brass parts and if replacements are not available, then what I do is solder in a chumk of brass and reform it to it's original design.

Broken springs are easily fabricated and worn spindles are replaceable and available.

The trickiest part if the door was indeed relocated or reversed is to do the woodwork in an astheticly pleasing manner. Sometimes the easiest way is to install push plates and leave the wood scarred up under the plates.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

the 'current' outside knob, is free wheeling in 1 direction..makes for an interesting supposition.. will see about it tho..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:_DQ7g.12119$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

yep...

Reply to
Key

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

sounds reasonable.. the people hat BUILT this house were eccentric.. there is NO sheet rock or plaster anywhere in the house.. 22 kinds of wood IIRR..each room or wall is a different species..

the ice maker in the kitchen, for the original owner was $1200.. held...200 pounds? at a time (commercial unit) --Shiva--

Reply to
me