Sources for rebuilt engines

I have decided to remotor my 1994 Caravan for my 16 year old to drive (in the mean time I am buying a 1965 Valiant for me to replace the one I sold about two years after I married).

I have found a couple "factory rebuilt" engine sources. It is my belief that a place that rebuilds engines everyday is going to so a better job than local guy that rebuilds one engine a month; and certainly better than I (my last engine rebuild was the 225 in my Valiant). Looks like a long block Mit

3.0 will run around $1800 delivered after the core is returned.

I only need the car to last 3 to 5 years, long enough for my daughter to find her footing. All other systems are fine (especially transaxle), I parked it 6 months ago with the plan being to remotor it. Even gave it steam clean just before I took the plates off. I figure to go with a long block and replace all hoses and belts while I am in there.

Anyway, has anyone had much experience with these rebuild houses? Any horror stories; firms to avoid? Firms to use? -- Regards, Dewey Clark

Sales:
Parts for Hamilton M21s, Products for Craftsmen Makers of Historic Timekeepers Ultrasonic Clock Cleaning Solution

Reply to
???

My experience is some of them just steam clean and replace the parts that are broken, while others do a bang-up job. My local engine shop will do a superior job if I'm willing to pay for it. I have had "rebuilts" come in with worn cams and lifters, collapsed pistons, missing core plugs, worn valve guides, and valves with sharp edges. Deal with a reputable local supplier, even if you are buying a FACTORY rebuild - because then you have someone to deal with LOCALLY if you need small claims court etc in case the engine goes sour.

Rebuilt engines from another state via internet etc is a risky business.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

"???" wrote in news:kwTgc.18$ snipped-for-privacy@news.abs.net:

Try Jasper,

Anthony

I've had good luck finding local shops that do a lot of race work. If they're not too busy, or they can work my stuff in around their regular work, they do a great work. I had a really finicky Triumph Stag engine that one shop worked on; came out right on spec.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Amaranth

Don't know the models you are mentioning but could you use a second hand engine? Most cars here in UK are scrapped because of non-engine problems. We have many breakers yards where a used engine will be relatively cheap. Many give a guarantee of a week so that you can fit it and try it.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I did that same thing to a Plymouth Voyager, same engine. Once. Next time, it gets towed to the junkyard.

HB

Reply to
Henry Bibb

Hi everybody,

I'e been reading the threads on this site for a long time now, and found them mosy enjoyable, but this is the first post I've made.

I just thought that a caravan is a bit large or a 16 year old girl to be driving. I dont know about the U.S.A, but here in the U.K. you could buy a reasonable and safe old banger, cheaper than a rebuilt engine.

Best regards

Tom.

Nunce excretia in extactum est.

Reply to
Tom Jacobs

Tom,

The caravan that the OP is referring to is a model of minivan made by Chrysler, not a caravan in the British sense....

Cheers,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Robinson

Junk yards are a good source of used engines, much cheaper (complete engines are $125 at my local yard), and will have a higher probability of working then a rebuilt. Caravans are popular, so it probably easy to find one with a good engine.

But I would just use the $1800 to buy a used working 94 Caravan (or whatever), they usually sell for $1000 - 1500 dollars.

Reply to
steve

Reply to
william_b_noble

Did you get the engine locally or from a national rebuilder?

Any unpleasant surprises?

Reply to
???

When I was driving my 1971 Dart, I put a junkyard engine in it; 6 months later I wound up putting a 170 in it. I got it for free from the next door neighbor when an arsonist burned the garage where her 1961 Lancer was kept. Had it rebuilt before the swap. No more junkyard engines for direct swaps for me. (Fool me once....)

Not sure of the advantages of buying someone else's 1994 Caravan with hi miles on the engine and not knowing how the rest was maintained. OTOH, I

*do* know my transaxle, suspension, power steering pump, a/c, brake system, exhaust, body, etc.
Reply to
???

Tom,

This is the US minivan (she is learning now in the larger, beat up 1993 Grand Caravan, so the regular Caravan will be a piece of cake).

OTOH, I agree with you about "old bangers". I have become disgusted with dealing with new and newer cars. I showed my wife the math about 8 years ago (the small 1993 Caravan was our last new car). I don't know how we got persuaded to spend serious capital (at least $20,000) every 6 or 7 years on expendable items like cars. Over a lifetime it can easily approach $300,000 when you add in the finance costs.

I had a 1971 Dart that I bought in 1977 w/ 60,000 milieus on it and used that puppy for 8 years. I replaced everything except for the three speed manual and it was running strong when I sold it with 180,000 on the odometer. Excluding gas (but including all maintenance, tires, oil and insurance), that puppy cost me 4 cents per mile to operate. Not much that could not be done with a straight blade screwdriver and a pair of slip joint pliers (only a slight overstatement).

Soooo.... I am in the process of buying a 1963 to 1971 Dart or Valiant. Switch it to electronic ignition, install shoulder belts, buy a couple exhaust systems (pre Emission Control was tough on exhaust) and when the time comes drop in a rebuilt engine (which on these cars takes less than a day for a non-pro because there are no complicated hookups).

I am looking at a 65 tomorrow in fact.

Reply to
???

The better wrecking yards will give you a 30 day warranty and also give the results of the compression test and oil pressure. They charge a little more, but it's worth it. I paid $300 for a 318 and drove it for 4 years and sold it to my uncle and he is still driving it. It also passed DEQ testing.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard Weich

I went to the junk yard and bought a used motor and had them install it. That was about ten years ago and it's still running. Chrysler K car. 4 banger 2 or maybe 2.2 litter. Can't remember the cost but it was a lot less than a rebuilt motor, probably about a quarter of the cost but not sure. Also had I think a 90 day warranty.

You really should check what the vehicle is worth if it is in running order. If you go to sell it a used or rebuilt or new motor will have little effect on what the vehicle is worth.

Scp

Reply to
Stephen